1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Much more of this “Global Warming” and I’m going to freeze to death!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snooker, Jan 21, 2004.

1. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Sorry ALGORE, but nature can be a real mother. After reading this, you will just about have heard it all, LMAO.

I have no idea what the overall “Big Picture” is, whether the weather is getting warmer or colder. But I was listening to a radio program the other night and they had a scientist (Robert W. Felix) that said the data that indicates global-warming is based off of ocean temperatures (taken at buoys around the world). And that since the earth’s surface is 70%+ covered by oceans, that’s the reason for the average global temperature being a few degrees higher that what we think is normal. And, that the average land temperatures were actually low.

Further, he said that over the course of history rising ocean temperatures are accompanied by ice-ages! Apparently, warmer oceans mean higher humidities and higher snowfall amounts in winter. Ice-ages were caused by so much snowfall that there wasn’t enough time to fully melt it in the summer. So glaciers build up from year to year. Last year 8 countries had record snowfalls. Felix, as well as some other meteorologists are saying the rest of this winter will be brutal.

Again, I don’t claim to know one way or the other. But if you’re interested, check this out:

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I can't see how a few degrees of rise can effect to weather so much.It still snows and still gets cold as hell. A few degrees at -10 don't mean nothing. It's still cold as hell.
  3. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

The people who freak about Global Warming are alarmed about the average temperature because that’s about the only way to accurately compare one year to another. When they average out temperature readings over a wide area, a trend up or down a few degrees in a few years is significant. If they’re correct, winters will still be cold and snowy, just not as cold and snowy.

On the giant simulations that they run on Super-Computers, they enter in current data like temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. to start the program. But simply rounding off all the numbers from say 50.4 degrees to 50 degrees, can result in huge differences in the outcome. Are those simulations accurate? In the short term, they’re getting better.

I’ve been watching the Climate Prediction Center’s (CPC) 13 month forecasts for the last few years, but not long enough to tell one way or the other. Here’s the latest 13 month temperature and precipitation forecast from them:

Below is a 31-day simulation that shows a movie of 15 days in the past as well as 15 days into the future. These maps show “vorticity,” which is a propensity for stormy weather as they travel around the northern hemisphere. The red areas are relatively stormy areas and the blue areas indicate places where precipitation is not likely. The main jet-steam is the bold black line. Whether or not there actually is rain or snow depends on things like available moisture, etc.:

If this simulation is correct, by January 27th, from St. Louis and Northeast from there will get dumped on.
  4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

With no break from this cold weather in sight, I commonly wonder:
    "Where's that global warming when I need it!"
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

when it comes down to it all nobody know anything about the earth
  6. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

More long-range forecasting ... bunk

If you're still interested, check this link:

In the late 70's "they" started telling us about the coming "Ice Age." Then the in the 90's, it was nothing but "Global Warming." Now it's back to the Ice-Age thing again. LMAO

Could this be scientist and researchers looking to justify further grant money? No. Of course not.