1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MTD Yard Man 5.5 2 Stage

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mick1064, Dec 7, 2005.

1. mick1064

mick1064 Junior Member

Just got an almost new Yard Man for $250, gave my Toro 5.0 electric start to a friend, can I add an electric start to this unit? Should a qualified dealer do it? What are the costs and what should I look for on the downside of this unit, if any? Just doing mine and older neighbors drives. Can't seem to find a manual either. Not a mechanic by any means, but can handle a screwdriver with the best of them!! Thanks in advance. Mick

2. dunkmydonut

dunkmydonut Junior Member

Mtd

Hi MiCK, MTD is looked on as a base model. Many people have them though including me. You could try mtdproducts.com for an owners manual. You
    can get a repair manual at abbysguide.com or abbeysguide.com. Not sure about SPELLING. They have a good forum on snowblwers there too.

3. I myself am not too huge of an MTD fan. Yes we have one and it really sucks. Do your shopping and be sure to take a look at all of them.

4. GrtArtiste

GrtArtiste Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Take your time and use the Yard Man for a while. Decide whether or not you like it before you start dropping $ into it. Maybe the guy who unloaded it for that price was happy he did and has moved on to something better. How old is "almost new"? If you decide to keep it and it's more than one year old, I would get on the web/phone and order at least one of every replacement part the machine is likely to need within the next five years because I GUARANTEE that if you wait until something like a belt breaks...you will be SOL (S**t Outta Luck) trying to get parts before spring comes. Make sure you get the right parts manual for the machine if you don't already have one and don't wait to do it. Can't seem to find a manual? Very bad sign. Good luck and keep us posted.