1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MTD Series Center Pivot area wobbles

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by mklawnman, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I have a 2003 MTD series 7'6" poly plow for my 2000 F150. I recently noticed that the center pin area has wobbled out the metal around it and so when you drive around the plow wobbles alot and has created a bigger hole in the frame than what it was designed for.
    I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem and if so what did ya do? I am thinking about getting some iron and welding it around that center pivot point area so that the center pin doesnt wobble so much anymore. Looks like the steel frame wasnt design sturdy enough and over time it has worn the steel out creating a bigger hole that the center pin is now resting on and wobbles on. :help:
    I have noticed since then the new plows have a different frame design and so that problem may not be there anymore on the new ones.
    Hopefully I explained it enough.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You may have broken the center pivot out of your swing frame. It could be possible to weld the pivot back in to place.

3. Yeah I think i did, problem is where the center pivot was on the swing frame is now a bigger hole than before. So I just cant weld it there because the hole is bigger now. SO I thought if I would add some steel around the hole and create a new center pivot and then weld it to that it would work? I just looked at the manual diagram of the plow and yeah the hole is small on the diagram but now its about twice that size now.
    THanks
    Matt

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Weld a piece of steel in the elongated area that is the same size as the original hole. Welding the area will work fine. Been done on my plow before and it is still working great.

5. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

lately we have seen this quite a few times most people would replace the sector but we have just been reinforcing it try a good welding shop or even your dealer they should be able to fix it up

6. Well we have a welder and in case me and a few of my workers cant figure out how to weld it up, my dad has done welding forever so.
    Im thinking of closing the hole up and reinforcing the area with steel so the pivot area is rubbing on some new steel and not be so wobbly, looks like I will need to take it apart to actually figure out how we are going to weld the steel around the pivot point to make it work properly.
    I figure we can weld some steel to it, not a biggy.
    THanks
    Matt

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You definately need to take the plow apart to do a good job. At least you will know the workings of your plow better too.

8. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

just dont tell tom... we would rather have us put a new one on it

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

check the rest of the swing frame for cracks and broken welds. look for twisted ends by the blade mounts. often they are torn up bad enough it's not worth repairing.

10. Yeah I will look at the entire swing mount for any weak points and broken welds. I've looked it over some earlier and it looks fine just that center pivot point is just worn out, Idk how much that swing mount would be but I'm hoping some welding will help and fix the problem so the plow can last another 5 years at least. Been a great plow for the truck and would like to fix the pivot without buying a new swing mount. This truck may endup becoming a backup plowing in one or two years from now so it has to make it the rest of this season and maybe one more before I replace this truck with a 3/4 ton truck.
    THanks
    Matt
    PS- I hope to get a few pics tommorow and post them later in the day to show how big the hole is.

11. Here are a few pics from today, had to plow 3" today. My worker said it plows fine just wobbles alot and the DP doesnt work as well cause of the worn out pivot. Bare with me first time posting pics on here.
    THanks
    Matt

plow pivot2.JPG

plow pivot1.jpg

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't be pushing snow with that thing like that. Start welding.

13. Yeah we are going to work on it over the weekend and hopefully make it stronger. Worried that its going to crack the entire thing and next thing ya know I will have to buy a whole new swing mount.
    Looking at putting a bushing in the hole then putting some metal around it and welding it all together to strengthen it.
    Hopefully its not past the point of repair but the way this winter has been going looks like it might be. :rolleyes:
    Matt

14. mweb250

mweb250 Junior Member
    from midwest

That exact thing happened to my MT plow. I noticed it last week. Its not as bad as yours but I know it will get worse. Let me know if welding a piece works.
    Mike

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It will and the sooner you catch it the better.

16. Just thought I'd update ya on my plow, well we ended up cutting out the bottom plate that is welded to the swing frame, and welding in a 1/4" thick plate under and welded the bushing to that, then re-inforced the top with a 1/4" thick plate on top and welded some gussets to the bottom plate to re-inforce the bushing area and welded back together how the factory had it, fits in the plow frame nicely. Ill take pics today.
    I hope on the new ones they re-designed that area, my Western plow is 4 years old and no pivot problems, my snoway is 5 years old and the pivot point area wobbled out so Idk if it was bad engineering or wha.
    Matt

17. Ok well took a few days but I got the pics of the wobble problem. We welding on some plates as I explained above. HOpefully Sno-way re-designed it by now but that Center hole where the bushin is was wobbled out 2" in diameter before.

P3070483.jpg

P3070484.jpg

P3070485.jpg

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They have redesigned it, they call it a 26 series.

Normally when I see the center like that it's on a 1/2 ton with a sander or salter on the back. Guys loading 1/2 ton equipment like it's a 3/4. the lighter blades aren't designed for long term heavy use any more the 1/2 ton trucks are.

19. Well I have a hitch mount salter on the back of the truck, but the truck handles the plow fine. IT was my first plow truck I had and well we've done alot of plowing with it since 2003. I know its probably designed for light duty plowing, not commercial plowing.
    I am looking at getting another 3/4 ton truck by next winter and putting a plow on that and using the F150 as a backup plow truck.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I wasn't being critical. You do what you have to do. I was just commenting on the situations in which i most often see broken swing frames. the weight of the truck with the salter and a load of salt beat them up pretty good.