1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MTD 26" blower ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by aloe, Feb 11, 2013.

1. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I just scored a free snowblower. It looks like the auger engagement cable is broken/loose. Anyone know how big of a repair that is? Never had a blower before, Thanx!

2. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Did a Lil research. Looks like its probably the auger drive gear. Doesn't look like a major job. Can't beat the price & my back can't take anymore shoveling!!!

3. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

i replaced that cable on mine and it is an easy fix or was on mine

4. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Thank for the input. The cable looks similar to a bicycle cable, tension screws etc.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Any idea on what year the blower is? Does it have the metal auger or just rubber?

6. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Metal auger. 8hp/26" width MTD yard machine, gold series w/ electric start. Taking it home tomorrow.

7. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Not sure of the year.

8. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

very easy fix with not to much time to do.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a 90's model. That's the first blower I started out with.

Thing was awesome and chewed up snow really well and was light enough to throw in the back of the truck.

If you plan on using it alot, make sure you keep the rubber on the auger changed and don't wait to do it. Otherwise you start to wear the auger.

That and get the add on universal skid shoes for the outside so it doesn't wear down the housing.

I wish I still had mine, I just beat it to death, but threw snow great and never gave me any problems. Now the Toro I own has an issue every year when I start it up (if it does).

The new MTD's with the rubber auger don't cut it either.

10. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I looked at the serial # looks like its a 95 model. It has the skid shoes. Jut needs the auger cable fixed & the handle bars are loose....also an easy fix.

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Running snowblower with minor repairs needed, for free? Sweet score, I'm jealous.

12. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Well, I was told it runs...will test it web I get it outside.

13. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Couldn't get it to start. found out a Lil more history on it. Looks like it hasn't run in at least 2 years. So, probably needs a thorough tune up, carb cleaning, etc. looking online now to figure out how the plastic key thing works.

14. theholycow

I bought a Craftsman, approximately the same vintage, with a 5HP Techumseh for $30. It was left outdoors for 10 years. Dude said the electric starter worked but he didn't try to run the engine...I figured a $30 gamble was good enough thinking I'd get a decent starter out of it, proper tire chains instead of the ones I rigged on my Ariens, and part of my money back in scrap if it wasn't repairable.

Starter made awful noise, but it turned out the engine is not in unusable condition. Got cover off and cleaned up around flywheel, sprayed a little go-juice in the carb, turned it over and it fired. Of course, in the process of getting the cover off I broke a head bolt and I've been too lazy to continue my work at drilling out the broken bolt.

I did get the starter apart and had a hell of a time putting it back together -- it takes a six-armed man to hold all the brushes in place while putting it back together. I can't remember now if I fixed the awful noise or not.

Haven't touched it for a couple months...why did I buy a project if I'm too damn lazy to work on it? :jester:

15. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

My starter isn't catching?!? Auger gearbox & shear pins are ok...just needs the cAble tightened. Needs new fuel. Ill clean the plug and check for spark this wknd. I think all will work out with this one! At least I hope so!!

16. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

good news is she runs!!! well, i dont really have any bad news, lol just working on it this weekend....but she runs!!!!

17. theholycow

What did you have to do to make it run? Clean the fuel system and spark plug?

18. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Cleaned the plug, some carb cleaner. Runs, idles etc. some minor issues are. No reverse----gear needs to be readjusted left of center. New friction wheel wouldn't hurt. Tighten the auger cable & it works. Left handle bar needs tightening (involved) But for the price it can't be beat!!! This will be my spring project which isn't too far away!! Also, the starter doesn't catch...not looking forward to what is missing more teeth, the starter or the flywheel.

19. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

On a side note...the carb bowl confuses me. The screw holding the bowl in place is more like an adjustment screw?!? When completely removed the bowl won't detach?!?

20. theholycow

The bowl may be just stuck to its gasket, might just need to carefully force it off. Did you count turns while taking out that screw?