1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mt55 in pickup bed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bosman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I was wondering if anybody has suggestions on ramps to load a bobcat mt55 w/ plow into the back of a chevy 2500 hd crew cab long bed diesel. Its a pain to drive this truck w/ plow and 16' utility trailer around city streets. The bobcat with plow weighs about 3000 pounds, thought it would be great ballast. Thanks for any suggestions.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Pick up an Equipment Trader there is a company that sells custom made ramps. Sounds scarry though, you would have to attach the ramps to the truck somehow so they don't spit out. Good Luck
  3. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Whatever you do, I wouldn't trust the tailgate with 3000lbs, the truck should handle it fine, and it will be great ballast. Good luck!
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Sounds sketchy w/ snow & ice involved......take a video when you load it the first time :)

I would just use a trailer......
  5. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Those are going to be some heavy ramps. I have custom ramps for loading mowers. 7' long, hinged in the middle and they are heavy enough. And they're only made to handle 2000#. If you replaced your bumber with a I-beam or heavy square tube, you could have a good mounting spot. but you are going to need some serious HD ramps. I'm pretty sure you would be way over GVW too, even without the plow on the front of the truck.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  6. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Crew cab long bed diesel on a 2500... I'm pretty sure just the plow puts him over GVW, haha. That's a lot of truck for a 3/4 ton.
  7. fci

fci Senior Member

I have 3 trucks that in the summer we put mt-52's in the beds. They are all F-350's with Hellwig 3500 helper springs and we modify the tail gate so when lowered the ramp sets on the bed of the truck not the tailgate. We use 89" x14" 5000# aluminium ramps. you can buy them at the ramp master web site. We also use a pair of steel automotive ramps , that you buy at auto zone . we put the steel ramps on the ground and have the aluminium ramps rest on them.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should make your own it would cost alot less.
  9. bosman

bosman Senior Member

ok i just loaded the mt55 into the bed of the truck off of my utility trailer gate, i don't think its too much weight, I just need to find some good ramps. thanks fci for the insight.
  10. fci

fci Senior Member

Good luck send some pics
  11. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I have a set of aluminum car hauler ramps that are 8 foot. They are strong enough. That would be my suggestion.
  12. fci

fci Senior Member

They should be strong enough . You can drill 2 holes in each ramp where the ramp hits the bed of your truck and put 3" bolts through to hold the ramp in place.
  13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW between loading that thing and plowing with it in the bed of the truck...........no thanks id stick with a trailer
  14. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

might be a bumpy ride lol

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

post a loaded pic?
  16. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

I would be really careful about securing the ramps well. In fact you should use more than just 2 ramps; I suggest putting up to 4 ramps side by side. I have a couple of box trucks that I use in the winter to transport 2 skid steers (453 & 773 Bob Cats). The box trucks have dove tails and full width gate ramps in the back, which makes for less of an incline than you would most likely have with ramps on a pick up truck. But still, with the snow and ice that gets all over the tires and ramp, it makes getting up into the truck a bit challenging because the skid steers tend to slip side to side. If you only use 2 ramps and the MT55 starts to slide, you could cause a fair amount of damage; or worse yet, really hurt yourself.

Good luck.