1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MT Series; Slow Raise/High Current Draw

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Reamer, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Reamer

Reamer Junior Member

I have a MT series approx. 3 years old. When I raise the plow the amp. meter
    draws way down. Sometimes the controler shuts off.
    I was told that maybe the hydraulic fluid should be changed. I did add some last winter
    (about a pint) that the dealer gave me.
    Anybody have any Ideas......Thanks

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Has the oil ever been changed over the 3 years? If it were me I would drain the oil and clean the screen on the pickup tube refill and see if the problem goes away. Let me know if this works out for you.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I agree with Tom that this is your first step. Clean and flush the system and all the filters. Page 20 explains how to service the pick up filter.
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100727E.pdf

Also remove the hoses from the manifold and clean the screens that each one restrains.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Also clean all the electrical connections. A ground may have corroded while sitting.

5. Reamer

Reamer Junior Member

I don't think it has been changed. I had bought the truck used.
    The oil that the dealer gave may have been for a Western; I don't know for sure.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  6. Reamer

Reamer Junior Member

Checked all the electrical...Alternator was replaced this summer as well
    as the battery..

7. Reamer

Reamer Junior Member

OK I just read and downloaded page 20.....I'll try that...
    Could the Western oil not been compatable with the original oil???
    Thanks for your help

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I personally would never recommend mixing oils unless you know for certain that they are compatible with each other. Most OEM oils are very good now but I still wouldn't mix them as some are mineral based and some are ash based.

It sounds to me that if you give the system a good flush including the hoses and clean all screens that the problem will resolve itself and go away for you. Let us know how you make out.

9. Reamer

Reamer Junior Member

OK Thanks for the help. I'll let you know

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek: Never mix fluids. No matter what the unit, no matter what the fluid, the only time you mix fluids if if you are on your way to the shop to drain and flush the unit. Even then I wouldn't guaranty more then one lift out of it. In some cases I've seen the wrong fluid eat the packings and o rings right out of a unit. Units rebuilt with cheap after market o-rings and seals are particularly susceptible to incompatible fluid attacks.