1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MT on my Trooper

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by vamootsman, Dec 8, 2009.

1. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Had a little trouble getting the 29HD mounted (picked it up at 5:45, just in time for the next wave of Iowa snow and Ice), so I assembled my MT 90" that I ordered in from BPS. I hung it from the front of my Trooper on the ST mount to see how much better it would do than the ST. Got a poly blade an deflector from Basher, and on his advice, dropped all the weight that I could, (around 70lbs.) and ended up with one seriously nice rig. Turns tight in a small strip parking lot, and had no trouble pushing som seriously heavy slushy snow and ice around. Even got a good scrape with the DP off. Thanks Basher for the good advice, and to Rick for finding me what I wanted. Thanks Buckey Power for getting the plow to me. Three Snoways and happy as clam. :) Hopefully the new HD is as good as the rest. I'll find out in few hours.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So what rig does the 12 year old use??:D

3. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I'd put him the Trooper, but he can't reach the pedals yet, so He gets his choice of Toro's.

Used The 29HD today. Nice! It's 7'6" but with the wings is 9'. Great unit.

4. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

So after a few days with the MT on the Trooper, found that the electrical system can't handle the bigger pump motor. Can't get a bigger alt for it, so am looking into a dual battery system. There's room to put a conical air filter to replace the giant air box and put a battery in it's place. I just need to find someone to wire it all in for me. I can do most of what I need to a Truck but, the electrical is not my gig.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There's lots of great threads on dual batteries.

6. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I printed the details of one off and am going to take it to someone and ask if they can do it. Hopefully I will find some who says :nod: and not :dizzy:

7. atrent

atrent Junior Member

Hey Bruce how are you? I am glad I found this thread man I see you use a 95 Isuzu Trooper. I have a 2001 I would like to mount a plow to. Any suggestions as to the best way to do this and what equipment to use? I'm not having much luck with the factory install wizards listing Isuzu Trooper.

Thanks,
    Adam

8. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

You need to find an ST like the one I have for sale. Go to Snoway's site, then click on portal. Then go to one of the archived vehicle guides, which takes you to their old site. Thats where you find the spec's on the ST series. The fit guide prior to 2008 has the info for the Troopers on it. It says that you can only use the 6'8" bladed ST. I have an MT on my 95 which is way heavier than the ST, so I'm sure you could use the 90" bladed ST on yours. I'm selling my used ST with 6'8" blade along with it's brand new 90" blade if you are interested, but you may have a hard time finding the mounts for your Truck. I have the blade, power pack and wired controller. You'd need to find the mount, the light harness, and the wiring for power to the plow.

9. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Got a second battery wired in. Much better!

10. atrent

atrent Junior Member

Hmmm. A research project. Thanks for getting back to me. I wonder what the difference is between years 95 and 2001 that won't let me use an MT or 26? Also I would appreciate it if you could slip me a PM with the quote on the 26 set up in case I can find the other parts I need soon.

Thanks,
    Adam

11. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I can't PM you yet, not enought posts. I don't have a 26, It's an ST. The front ends are different on the newer Troopers (softer), and the Engines are heavier, so the plow needs to weigh less. Might have something to do with the TOD too. My Trooper barely handles the MT, but I take it easy on it, (as easy as you can when plowing). I have another 95 Trooper to take it's place when it does it's final death roll.

12. atrent

atrent Junior Member

Yes I'm sorry, fat fingers, I meant ST.

Thanks,
    Adam

13. atrent

atrent Junior Member

There may also be a problem I will need to work through. This Trooper is lifted 2" with 31" tires.

Adam

14. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

that could be an issue too. I had oversized tires on mine, and couldn't tell if the down pressure was really doing anything. Went back to standard size tires, and with the DP on it scrapes more like a straight razor. Seems that it's putting more pressure on with the standard tires, as it's within the range of how far the lift cylinder can pull back to unweight the front axle.

15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Did my second plowing session with the Dual battery setup. Both batteries are brand new and only plowed for 1 hour the 1st time, 1.5 the second. the second time, things started to go downhill, lights dimmed, plowed started reacting slower, at killed the motor a few times. Back to the drawing board.

16. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'd be interested in trading you an ST for your MT??? Let me know. Thanks

17. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Already have an ST, but thanks for the offer.

18. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Was talked out running an isolator on the extra battery, and having it only run the plow. Another thread had suggested it but the guys at the shop said not to bother. Does anyone know whether that would have been a better way to go? Haven't been able to find a bigger Alt. anywhere, so that's not an option. Any ideas?