1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MT not functioning

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by rivrboat, Jan 5, 2010.

1. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Have 6 yr old MT, purchased last season in like new condition. Worked great last year. Have moved the truck around several times since with no issues. Went to plow first time this season, heard couple clicks, then nothing. Checked all grounds, power, fuses, etc. All clean and like new. Have power to solenoid, and when crossed powers up motor. Have power to solenoid winding when control is powered up. Wired controller seems to be functioning properly. It powers on and off, DP lights up when pushed, green light flickers when pushing controls. If I gound the solenoid directly, it clickes, but does not fire up the motor, even though there is 12v to the other terminal. However, if I bypass everything put direct 12v and direct ground to the solenoid, it fires the motor right up. I have tried 2 other new solenoids, just for s & g, but I knew that wasn't my problem. I suspect an issue with my module, but I wanted some expert advice before spending the bucks. Thanks for any input.

2. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

No ideas out there?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

if you ground the brown wire on the 12 volt motor soleniod and the unit operates it is a bad soleniod. try putting a test light to the brown wire does it light, does it go out when you try to raise it?

4. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, Basher. If I ground the brown wire, the solenoid clicks, but nothing else. With the control powered up, the test light is lit up at the red/white wire and the brown wire on the solenoid. It is also lit up at all the pump solenoids, because it is the same red/white as the motor solenoid. This to me seemed to point at the solenoid. However, if I place direct power and direct ground from the battery to the solenoid, it fires the motor right up. I tried two other new solenoids with no luck. The controller powers up, but there is no other plow function unless I put direct power to the motor. Even then, there is no other movement up, down, right, left, etc.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the test light go out if placed on brown wire and you try to raise the unit? where are you putting the ground when you "if I place direct power and direct ground from the battery to the solenoid?"

6. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Nothing happens when I try to raise unit, power tests remain constant. When I said direct, I meant that I ran wires directly from the battery to the solenoid.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the brown wire stays hot when you give the raise command, I would guess a bad control module.

8. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Just tried it again. Solenoid clicked several times when I pushed controller, then I lost the 12v to the red/white. It might have done that before and I missed it. Is there some kind of overload in the module that trips and eventually resets?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

yes there is a auto resetting "breaker" disconneting the controller with it still on will kick it out.

10. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Still think it's my module?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be, first thing I'd do is hook a known good module to it and see if it solves the problem

12. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Thanks Basher. I'll see if I can locate one. I'll let everone know how I made out in case they run into the same problem.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You might have to.......:eek: go see you dealer. EVERYBODY'S DIFFERANT but if they do service they should have one around. It's so quick and easy to hook one up it's one of the first things we check. We have a shop test unit with a large alligator clip on it for testing. It's cheating (eliminates a lot of tests) but but fast and effective.

The next thing is to check why the unit went south. Electronics of that type rarely give warning before failure and after 6 years it could have just failed. But you should clean all your connections, grounds, excetra. Service the unit and look for signs of heat or shorting. I had one this winter that wanted to intermittently run the motor on it's own accord, it would run till they pulled the plug. Turned out the brown wire for the 12 volt solenoid had worn a hole in the casing and was in a puddle of water. Occasionally it would ground and the motorwould run. What color are the coils Black, Red or a mix of Black and Blue?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  14. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

My valve coils are all red. I'm going to put my module in a friend's plow and see if his still functions. I didn't want to put his module in mine, in case something else caused the failure.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good Idea:nod:

16. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Hooked up my module and controller in friend's plow which was set up for wireless. Worked fine. Put his wireless set up in my plow. Worked fine. Put his wireless back in his plow. Worked fine. Put my set up back in my plow. Worked fine. I'm losing my mind. I had all these connections apart ten different times and checked with no luck!?!?!?!?

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So you never had a problem at all? :rolleyes:you where just jerking us around:jester:

So it was probably the ground. That would be the only connection to the electrical system you changed during the module switch beside the connector plug. Did you remove the ground bolt, clean and replace when you where cleaning connections? Might be worth your while to pull the plug apart make sure all the pins are tight, locked in place and give it a shot of contact cleaner. Careful with the di-electric grease, to much can be a problem.

18. rivrboat

rivrboat Junior Member

Had ground bolt out several times, wire brushed it, even though it looked fine. Had plug apart many times checking for loose connectors. I'll spray it all with connector cleaner and hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. Thanks for all the advice Basher, much appreciated!