1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mt leaking fluid

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by BKFC255, Oct 27, 2008.

1. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

my mt is leaking fuild out the top of main ram. when you press down it goes right to the ground and it will hold in the liofted postion. it seems to leak after it drops. can i fix this or do i need to replace the ram

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Replace it.

3. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

how much will that run me?

4. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

well i ordered on last night on plowparts.com for 175.00. hope to get it by friday. i hope the weld shop at work can fix the old one and keep it as a spare.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not something you can normally weld up.

6. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

well plow parts went out of business. so did not get my parts. so i pulled the ram today the and the ram looks good.the hose looks like it might be bad around the o ring so i am going to replace that. my question if the hose had a slow/small leak would that make it drop all the way to the ground when you hit the down button. if you hit the up button it will stop the plow from dropping all the way down. or is my b coil bad?

7. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

There is nothing wrong with your plow. The cylinder or hose may be leaking and you should fix that but when you hit the "down" button on the controller the plow will go all the way to the ground. If you hit the "up" button when the plow is dropping it will stop the drop. But your plow is working properly.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is no monetary lower on the Snoway, it goes straight to float. If you want to "catch" it on the way down tap the up button.

Short version; everything is working correctly.

9. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

okay so it does not work like a fisher that is what i had before. you press the button and all the way down. thanks guys i guess i had a loose hose. it was had to tell with it in the plow.

10. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Glad it was just a loose hose and not a bad cylinder or hose. Saved some $$$. Let us know if we can be of further assistance. We appreciate you being a Sno-Way customer.

11. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

I changed one hose it was bad at the swivel end . I hooked it all back up and is running fine it is acting up with the dp on like it is searching for pressure. it pushes down and then lets up. do i have a air pocket in the line or am i low on fluid. it looks as if it is some what close to the fill to line. i have to get so more fluid in the next couple days.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be air, When you have the Dp on does it reset quickly? We refer to it as hammering, because it sort of thumps.

13. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

Yes that is what it is exactly doing. It did not do that before. It was after I changed the hose. So what is recomended way to fix it? Crack a hose to see if i can get the air out. I have cycled it numerous times. with no change.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Jack the front of the truck up until the lift ram is completely then run the unit up, or you can drop the plow over a lip so it drops until the ram is at the end of it's travel.

the other problem could be you flushed some crap loose and it's settled into the down pressure relief valve. you could pull, inspect and clean it.

Does the plow drift down?

15. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

No the plow does not drift down. It has rained all day so i have not touched the plow hopefully friday.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good; that rules out the lift ram. Check for air in the system and a dirty down pressure releif vavle.

17. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

Okay basher topped off the fluid checked hoses all fluid no air. opened the dp relief valve and took it off cleaned lt did not find any dirt. Was still hammering. see i could adjust the dp relief vslve gave it 1/2 turn and stopped hammering. now my question is that pressue sensor on the side directly below the dp relief valve. part of the dp system? I so could that have gotten dirty? if it can get dirty what size wrench do i need to get it off since it take a narrower wrench i have to go get on to do it.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My next suggestion would have been to tighten the Down Pressure PR valve down no more then one turn so you're right there.They get tired with age, but the problem jumping in right after the fluid change points to dirt in the valve.

Just you could have gotten dirt in the PR valve you could try backing it off and cleaning it.