1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MPV 10 years old.... hydraulic issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hoot, Dec 28, 2012.

1. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

This plow has been good to me for 10 years. A couple of years ago I removed the vent cap and forgot to reinstall it. Lost the plug. I didn't discover this till the end of the season. Not sure if any water got in.

I drained and replaced the fluid. Everything worked fine except we didn't get much snow last year.

Today I hooked up. She raised up fine and I took it out of the garage.

Then I noticed loss of movement. The solenoids click and the pump runs on any command I give it yet it sounds like it needs to be bled.

I checked fluid... looks new and full to the filler level.

Tomorrow I'm gonna drain and refill.

Is there a check valve that can get stuck open that causes bypass? Does something go wrong with the business end of the pump where it turns but doesn't pump properly?

Thanks fo the suggestions!

Here she is when I first installed it in 04.
    [​IMG]

Previously installed on a GMC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I read the mechanics manual. Looks like I'll be dropping the reservoir and checking the suction tube and filter first. I have a notion that it may have dropped off.

3. bob frapples

bob frapples Junior Member

me too

I have been dealing with the same thing. It happens when it is very cold. I have had it in the shop 5 times this winter thinking that I need to thaw it out rmove the water and refill with fluid. It will work fine at first then the water in the system starts to become ice and form a snow ball around the filter. I only know this because I was in a hurry and removed the resevoir when it was still cold. Usually I crank the heat and drink 4 beers. Here is where I am stumped, I have had more water in the system before with out problems, the plow works if I put a heat gun to it for a while, but clients don't want to see you running an extension cord to your truck and drink coffee for 20 minutes. Can the pump be getting weak, but don't pumps usually show signs of weakness in hot situations versus cold? Can water enter the system without letting any of my expensive blue juice out? Why are there filters on the return ports in the resevoir? Should I have stayed in college? Should I put a nice wool hat upside down on the resevoir secured with duct tape and periodically stuff hand warmers inside, or maybe use one of those pads for back pain pluged into my ciggarette lighter.

4. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

That's funny. How about those magnetic heating pads used on oil pans to keep engine oil warm?

5. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Well it looks like found the problem. Filter clogged with scum and the two return screens got blown off. They were laying in the bottom of the reservoir.

[​IMG]

Local outfitter had the big screen kit but no return screens. I just cleaned up the return screens. The big supply screen had collapsed from the suction so I replaced it.

[​IMG]

Also the screen kit came with a metal bracket to retain the suction screen tube. Mine did not have this bracket but I could not get the suction tube out so I don't see how it could fall off. I put the bracket on anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I did change the fluid on a regular basis.

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

After you put it back together, you might want to put some silicone around were the motor and reservoir bolt onto to the primary block, and smooth it out with your finger just leaving a film. I know the reservoir has a "O" ring that should keep the water out.

The reason why I recommend this, because I had a conversation regarding water getting into the fluid with a guy who has been installing western plows for 20yrs. By putting a film of silicone around the base will keep the moisture from entering the fluid..

Also use some brake cleaner (spray can) to clean out the reservoir out, then blow it out with and air gun (if you have an air compressor) or wipe it out with a clean cloth.

Just a suggestion.......

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Not so sure the silicone is needed. It's a really tight fit on that o-ring. Yes I did make sure the can was clean and dry. Good tips. Thanks.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I use it and it resolve my moisture problem getting into my fluid..........

Like I said, just suggesting