1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MPG with the 5.4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Snow tracker, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

I'm sure there are all types of threads on MPG but I'm not searching for old news. I have a 08 F250 and get 9 mpg. Not plowing. When plowing it goes down from there. What are you guys getting with your 5.4s? Thanks

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I usually get 10-11 maybe 12 no matter if it's plowing,towing or empty just driving. I have a chip and a cold air intake kit on it. Most guys are getting around the same from what I remember.

3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I average 9-10. Use it for plowing, towing mowers, and everyday driving. When it was brand new, I used to get around 11-12.

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Yup same here. Solid dependable powerplant but not gonna win many races.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

9-12 mpg is what you get on just about any 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with gas engine - regardless of manufactuer, engine displacement, or even year (carb or efi really makes no noticeable mpg difference either)

some guys may get close to 15mpg if driving all highway at 60 mph unloaded - but then why own a truck? get a commutor car and do double that mileage.

6. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Same here 2008 5.4. 73k. 8.5-9.5 with the plow on. 10.5 with the plow off. My 01 has more power and gets better gas mileage 300k+. Both are the same exact truck.

7. porabjr

porabjr Member

10mpg at last fill up for me. Notice a decline of 2-3 mpg just switching from stock wheels and all seasons, to steelies w/ snow tires. Plow down and 4X4 all the time drops it another few mpg.

8. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Glad I'm not alone but sure wish it was better. All and all it's a great truck

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

04 F-350 4X4
    out on the road empty, around 15. in town loaded down, around 10

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 3 of them I'll tell you what My F350 DRW with 3.73 manual its 16-17 hwy empty Loaded med. load 10-11 pulling in town
    Plowing I seen 8 to 10