1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MPG with plow...what are you getting?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mr_udy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. My 8.1L MPG has dropped to as low as 6.7 and up to 8 since I installed plow, removed valance, and put 500lbs in the bed. I only do 7 driveways and one small parking lot so thats mostly just driving around town (no expressway) in tow/haul mode with plow up.

Evern w/ unimount blade/pump/light assembly removed, I'm down to around 9mpg. I used to get 10-11.5mpg before install of plow frame and 500lb ballast.

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

With winter my mileage has suffered some. Was your 10.5 to 11mpg during the warmer summer months?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Winter gas is not as good as summer gas. It has a different blend to it and they put some sort of anti-freeze inhibitor in it. You arent going to get high mpg numbers in the winter period. Figure the mounting frame weighs 100lbs or more, plus you are running in tow/haul which pushes shift points over 2500 rpm and doesnt allow it to shift into overdrive, you probably have it in 4x4, and have 500 lbs in the bed. Plus your entire plow assembly weighs 800lbs or so swinging off the front of the truck. So that is alot of weight you have in the truck which dramatically affects fuel mileage. My 6.0 gets 8-10 in the winter with the plow, 4x4, tow/haul on and 240lbs in the back.

4. Easy

Easy Senior Member

My 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab with plow and 700 lbs in the back does 8-10 mpg. while plowing. In the summer, with no plow and no ballast, on a road trip I averaged 17.8 mpg.

Don

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Mine is really weird, in my 06 Chevy 2500Hd with a 8ft plow, I get abour 7mpg. But... With my 00 F350 dully v10 with 8.5' plow I get 9mpg.

Its weird the heavier truck and whatnot got better gas mileage. Maybe once the 06 gets broken in, it'll do better, because I think my 01 chevy got about 9.