1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MPG options????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMCHD plower, Nov 14, 2010.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Ok guys my parents and I are wondering what we can do to get better MPG's with our 09. It's driven with relatively light feet. We wanna figure out something that won't void warrenty.

2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

what are you getting for mpg right now?

3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

About 12 around town, and the max we've gotten is 14 on the highway... These are overall.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Not sure about the NNBS trucks, but thats pretty normal for NBS. I would hope the newer trucks with a couple extra cogs in the tranny and cylinder deactivation (or is that only the 1500's?) would do a few MPG better.

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

12 sounds great! my old one got 9 on my work commute. i took it on a trip once and baby-ed the heck out of it and broke 16. although i couldnt ever replicate that trips mpg. must have been magic

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Could park it..Just use for church..:laughing:

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Best thing to do is buy a cheap car to run around in.

8. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

What gears?
    My suggestions would be an air filer upgrade and exhaust.

9. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

custom tune...that hands down is the best thing you can do 1-2 mpg better and huge gain in power...if you get your own tunner you can download the stock truck file. make a tune...then come warranty time put the stock programming back on and.....what tune????????? gm will never know... other than that the k and n and flowmaster all you want wont get you that kinda mpg...hands down custom tune is the way to go

10. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

The computer will tell the dealer if you had a tuner hooked up at any time during the trucks life.

11. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

i dont see how... if your putting it back to stock...? your taking the stock tune off custom...then taking your custom off and stock back on...?

ps... the dealers dont like to see the k and ns and exhausts they get picky...as far as tunes ya it will void but i dont think they could tell if its going back to stock your reflashing the computer

12. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

I cant speak for all the manufacturers but I know for a fact that GM can track everything you do to the computer system. If you have a good relationship with your dealer they may overlook small upgrades.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The ONLY way the dealer wouldn't know about a tune is if you bought another ECM programed it and took yours out and tucked it away for safe keeping. Intake and exhaust systems are a joke, it will take 100k miles or more to offset the purchase price. It's a truck you didn't buy it for mileage. As said your best bet would be a tune.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  14. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Be easy on the gas pedal. Anything you do will void warranty. From what I have heard the tune is the best way to get mileage. Intake and exhaust will not get you much, but a nice sound.

15. tewtone

tewtone Junior Member
    from MA

I come from a tuning background and the open source stuff available for the GM computer is awesome. Virtually undetectable unless you have a catastrophic failure and they decide they want to pull the actual coding and go through it (which they wont cause GM is too broke to do that).

There are a couple guys locally in worcester,ma that have got some decent MPG gains and run their trucks as daily's.