1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MPG on Ford 7.3

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Stud Bro, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I got a 1999 F 250 crew cab with a 7.3 Turbo diesel and i have the dioblo programmer in it. How ever the best mileage i have ever gotten is 14.5 MPG and this is very rare normally i get around 12. Is this normal what are you other guys getting any body know any tricks to get better mileage let me know.
  2. JT Contracting

JT Contracting Junior Member

I have 02 f250 with 4" turbo back exhaust K&N intake system and Hypertech Tuner, with tuner set on three (highest setting) I am getting 14.9 around town and pulling trailers highway about 18-19.
  3. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I also have a 4 inch turbo back exhaust and just a K&N filter insert i keep my programmer on the 100HP tune and i cant figure it out but i can sure blow out some great black smoke
  4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

takes about right for a PSD 14ish in town and maybe 20ish on highway. . i love the skinny pedal so i'm sucking down on that deisel hahahaha:D
  5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I also get a consistant 14+ and that towing my 6K# landscape trailer around for 3 days out of the week. I dont get on the highway very often but ill get about 18-20 cruisin at about 2000 RPMs (70mph).
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

The black smoke your shooting out is actually wasted fuel. Your basically throwing dollar bills out the exhaust! But even knowing that.....it doesnt stop me when i'm next to the little rice burners and take them off the line leaving them coughing in the smoke!!!:D My 6.0 gets about 10 pulling, 16 highway, city mileage is somewhere between those two. Good Luck!
  7. shanta74

shanta74 Member

my uncle had a97 7.3 and he was getting about 17 mpg's now that he traded that in for his 06 6.0 automatic he isnt getting any thing beter than 14 mpg's.
  8. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I don't understand it if i run it in stock mode i get 10 to 12 and when I'm leaving black smoke in the 100 HP tune i get 12 to 14 and that can be towing or just highway. It doesn't make sense to me all i want is better mileage and i don't know where to start.
  9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

My Previous truck was 01 7.3L PSD with 3:73 gears, got 14 ish around town, towing about 10 ish and 19 ish highway running the sweet spot ( 65 mph @1750 rpm's) If I ran over the sweet spot I'd do 17ish at best.
  10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

What do ya get now with the 6.7 Cummins?:D
  11. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

call me crazy, but it works.

my 7.3 is getting 16 or so in town and 20 to 21 highway at 2k or under.

I have the 4" exhaust, with a superchips tuner, set in the tow haul safe mode, and I use bio performance in it.

Hauling my loader, I get about 12 to 13
    13k lbs!!!
  12. Pat M

Pat M Member

Take it off the 100hp setting. I don't which programmer you are using but if you can go down to either 45 or 60 hp try those then also stay off that right pedal. My 03 6.0 F250when it was stock ran around 17.5 - 18 mpg combined between highway and city. Put on a 4" tubo back exhaust and it stayed the same. Even using my Edge Juice with attitude I would leave it on the Level 3 Performance and it stayed around there. Then Ford started with their re-flashes and it went down to about 14.5-16 mpg combined. If you can adjust your fuel delivery I would adjust it to less smoke. Your turbo will have a slight lag time on it but you won't be dumping raw fuel straight out the back side. Does it look cool ya sure to you maybe but then you get those old farts and they just complain about it but your neighborhood fuel station will love you for it.

O.k. off my stool I go. Basically as long as you stay around 65-70 mph then you should be at your best fuel economy. Anything over that and she will just go through it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  13. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Thanks for the advice however i have ran it in every tune including stock have ran cleaner threw it constantly run LSD and ULSD fuel threw it and i have never got close to 18 i have driven it like a grandpa and still no change i dont know i guess there has to be somthing going on internaly and untill i can get the truck freed up to take it in and get the injectors checked then its just going to keep burning liquid gold thenks for all of your help i will keep you posted
  14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a bone stock 96 with auto and it has never got better than 14 mpg.

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

My 08 F450 6.4 gets like 9ish around town. Dont ask what it gets towing. I hope this all makes you feel better
  16. mike psd

from pa

if you want mileage get a cummins best in the class for pickup diesels .

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Cummings is a great motor. However the ram is a great motor wraped in a toilet. Im not a cummings trasher but take a look at the 6.7 boards , its like the 6.0 all over again with a different name tag, blown turbos, sticking egrs snapping crankshafts etc.
  18. mike psd

from pa

ditto however if can find an 98 12v with a manual your golden .diesel have taken a real hit when its coming too EPA and emisson BS anymore which is sad b/c the designer are not planning around a truck that is gunna produce everyone for a working man .

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Didn't see what gears you have but a buddy has two identical trucks an 00' with 3.73s and an 01' with 4.10s. 00' gets 17-18 01' gets 14-15. Also 05' 6.0 gets 15-16 and a sweet 08' F550 with a 6.4 getting 6. OUCH!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  20. wls

wls Senior Member

I have a 97 f-250, just did a mpg thing. About 90% town, 10% freeway, got 17.2 mpg, on paper. Open air, no muffler, 3:55 gears