1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mpg for gassers

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RhinoL&L, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

i know this has probably been talked about but i am looking for some info on certain engines.

i have a 2005 f250 with the 5.4L v8 and get about 8mpg city-unloaded 10 or so highway unloaded.

what do you guys get in the city with these types of trucks engines. feel free to put your make/model of truck and mileage! thanks for the help
  2. karol

karol Senior Member

I've got a 2007 250SD. I don't bother with these calculations as it is a gas guzzler especially when you're towing. My gas bill is about $1000 per month just on the truck. Truck makes money so I can't complain.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

2004 F250 SD 5.4 here...checked mileage quite a bit before plowing season and was getting average 12-13 around town unloaded...highway driving yielded 14-15 unloaded...when loaded I can't say as it doesn't really matter to me so I don't check when plowing. I'm going to Daytona in a few weeks and I will be checking mileage while towing a 7x14 trailer with a vee nose...I'll post results in the future (March sometime)
  4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You serious that v8 on f250 get less than 10 mpg? My Uncle who have f250 and he say it get around 15 to 18 mpg but my Dad have f250 with V10 it get around 11 mpg.
  5. ken75ranger

ken75ranger Junior Member

That some pretty low mileage. What size cab-bed, tranny and axle gearing do you have?
    I running a 2005 5.4 auto, reg cab with 3.73 gears and average 14 mpg combined city, highway unloaded.
  6. toyman

toyman Senior Member

1999 F250 4.10 gear, geta about 12 average. 4-5 plowing.

7. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

im running a 2005 f250 5.4 auto ext cab short bed with the 3.73 gear ratio im pretty sure. any ideas on whats up? sounds like i should be getting a lot better mileage:confused:
  8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My 03 reg cab f-350 w/5.4 got 10 to 11 mpg. If I was plowing it was down to 6 at it's worst. I didn't like how weak it was ( 3:73 ,2 valve) for the amount of fuel being used. On my new truck I decided to spend $600 and get the v-10. It is the new 3 valve and it is getting the same milage as the old 2 valve v-8. On the highway w/no load the v-8 might have been a little better on gas. However that v -10 w/4:10 gears never thinks of down shifting !!! My wife now drives an 06 f-150 w/3 valve 5.4 and it is a great motor. Way way more power than my old motor. On the highway @ 70mph I have Honestly gotten 17 mpg in this truck (4x4 extend cab). I don't think a super duty will get this good but that new v-8 is alot better than the old one. The best ever in my 03 reg cab f-350 v-8 3:73 4 speed auto was 15 mpg highway ( followed a motor home up north for the weekend) The best In my 07reg cab f-350 v-10 4:10 5 speed auto was 13 mpg highway. If you just drive the truck on it's own the v-8 is probably better IMO, but if your towing alot the v-10 will do it much easier and probably get better milage towing than the v-8. I avarage 8 mpg plowing w/v-10 ,but it's making money so I can't complain. These are great truck but they do like gas:dizzy:Sorry if I just confused everyone !!!! Just my $.02 Good luck !!!
  9. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I'm getting 10-11 mpg on the highway unloaded with my 01 F250 with the 5.4 and 3.73. Regular cab long box. The newer 3 valves are supposedly much better. 6-7 mpg while plowing. I was also thinking that it should be better. Brother has a 00 5.4 two wheel drive and a 5 speed. It will get 17-18 empty. 15 mpg loaded at interstate speeds.
  10. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

99 f250 4x4, 5.4, 4.10 gears, extend cab, short bed :realmad:
    10-11 unloaded
    8-10 loaded or pulling 16' trailer
    4-7 plowing with 3000lbs in back

I thought something was wrong with mine till I read this! Good to know I am not the only one!:waving:
    I am a FORD man by heart, but my chev 2500hd with a 6.0l gets about 13-15 (if not higher) unloaded. It also has so much more power too!
    What did Ford do to create such a gas muncher!:gunsfiring:
  11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

you also have to take into acount the significant weight and size difference between a super duty with 5.4 and f-150 with 5.4, its a whole different ball game. my 2000 f-350 v-10 reg. cab long box 3.73ls auto gets around 10-13... i know folks with 5.4's in super duty's that get around the same, maybe a tid better but i have alottttt more power :bluebounc id change your fuel filter if you dont know when it was done last, its cheap and can make a world of difference.
  12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

what gears does your chebby have in it ? also the chebby has tech. that is 5 years newer than your motor even though it wont make up that huge gap, it would be better and if you had 3.73's it would be a lot closer.
  13. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

My 6.0 chevy got 10-11 daily driving and 5-6 plowing. I only saw 13's in the summer.
  14. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Any heavy duty truck with a small gas engine is not going to produce fuel economy, it does not matter the manufacturer.

I will definately buy a diesel again next time, but I couldn't pass the deal up on the current truck. Along with the fact that at time of purchase it was mostly a winter vehicle, now it works it's azz off towing equipment around. If I would have known that I was going to buy into an ecavating company last fall I would have bought the diesel then.

15. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

04 F-150 5.4L and unloaded highway is about 15-16 at best, city is about 11-13.

Overall when you figure in plowing or just normal driving, which to me is a truck half full of tools and supply's I think I do about 12.
  16. bosslover

bosslover Member

i have a 2004 f-250 v-10 and i am getting 16mpgs with my truck but it is also a 6spd manual i get about 450 to a tank roughly but i try not to let it get below half to often it cost over a bill to fill it
  17. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

my 150 dosent move enless its get paid for. but id figure 15 some times going to my cabin in pa theres hill stops signs it will get 18 20 and thats a load tools food drywall what not. plowing i dont even know i just push and pay thats all i write down all the miles on my log id have to look. but i keep all the numbers for the next year and then i know what to write in for the next year.
  18. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

My 2000 F350 Supercab 4x4 is a 5.4 with 4.10 posi and a 5-speed manual. It gets 12-13 in mixed driving, 14-15 highway if I keep it below 70 (seldom), and best ever was 16 on the interstate across Indiana on I 70, with a big load of tools and gear. Plowing drops it to 6-8 mpg.
    I think the ethanol blends like the 10% stuff we are stuck with here in the northeast really hurt mileage. Mine did better with the real gas they sell farther south and west. Other than the MPG, it's been a great truck - 103K miles with no major problems, just the usual maintenance items like brakes, ball joints and exhaust.
  19. 02crew

02crew Junior Member

When the plow is off the truck, I get between 12 and 14
    When the plow is on, 9 to 10, depending on how much it idles.
    Can't complain, the truck has done anything I have ever wanted it to do.
  20. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Come on now boys you didnt buy your super duty for gas mileage now did you. I stopped keeping track of that a long time ago. :D