1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mowing lawns VS. plowing resi

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bribrius, Sep 30, 2007.

do you prefer mowing lawns or plowing snow?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2007.
  1. plowing snow it pays more.

2. plowing snow its easier.

3. mowing lawns it pays more.

4. mowing lawns its easier.

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

talking to a small landscaper today. i slipped and said if someone offered me eighty bucks i still would tell them they can mow their own lawn and i would not do it. he replied "usually thirty five for a normal lawn not eighty. and whats the difference between me mowing lawns with my zero turn mower which doesnt take long at all and you plowing driveways? i can mow ten lawns a day and make at least three hundred fifty dollars."

realizing im probably biased against mowing lawns and believed it to be 'beneath me' (im sure ill regret this post) i figured i would post the poll to the room and welcome comments. don't slam me too much maybe im not that biased and i just dont like mowing lawns. so whats the difference between plowing resi drives and mowing lawns?
  2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

The real answer is "Plowing snow, it's more FUN."
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Zero turn mower and he's only cutting 10 lawns in a day? I do 18, and it makes for a great day.

How about $1200 in about 9-10 hours of plowing? I enjoy both, but plowing is more lucrative per day.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I think mowing is like summer plowing. ( My Wife thinks that's nut's ! )
    I enjoy mowing 4 acres I inherited a while ago.
    I spend 4 hours a week doing it. Keeping it looking good while it's for sale.
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

That's damn funny! "summer plowing" I like it!! :D
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yes, this IS true, however- it doesn't always snow- the lawns always grow! I'd say plowing IS more fun, but mowing and landscaping in general makes more $$$ and is more reliable than snow. Mowing on my Bob-Cat WB w/Velke is pretty fun too!wesport
  7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

No ones got it yet...........................You can plow a driveway in a FRACTION of the time you can mow a lawn for the same money. That $35 lawn might take you an hour by the time you do everything, weedwack, blow, put the mower back on the trailer and pull out....etc. Plowing could have yielded you 14 $35 driveways in that same amount of time.....and you dont have to go dump the grass clippings at the end of the day

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

PLOWING ALL THE WAY! I like to mow, but I just really like plowing better!
  9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i don't mow for $$$$ but i mow our 5 acre shop lawn and love it. have a front deck 60or 61" Woods and it's a good time. after mowing it looks so good and you can step back and look at all the straight lines WOW!!!
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Either you don't mow, or you are just trying to get people riled up.....

I live in MN, one of the few places where we have 6 months of growing season (roughly), 6 months of winter season.

I can gross $18,000 / month working solo, or about $100k in the summer.

We have on average 18 snowfalls / season, so even if I were charging $150 / hour (I TRY to average $125) and worked 24 hours / snowfall, It's only $64k.

I also try to average out about $75 / hour mowing solo.

So..... as an hourly figure, sure plowing is more money. BUT the mowing season has more opportunity to make money.
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

"beneath you" Thats a pretty cocky attitude to have. I think it takes by far more skill to mow and leave a property looking good than it does to plow some snow.
  12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Oh I get it but your driveways seem to be much higher in price than here! Try 10-12 minimums and maybe the occational 20-25.00 one. And a 35.00 lawn might take us about 10-15 minutes.
  13. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

yeah i love plowing the most...but mowing and landscaping is the bread and butter......take it this way i do a 55 dollar lawn and a 65 dollar lawn in under a hour...and every week i do that....plus i have 38 more lawn i do ontop of that.....grass in summer plowing on my scag 62 inch rider
  14. bribrius

guess a lot of this question depends on where you live. i wouldnt drop the plow for under twenty five dollars. unless trucks/insurance and plows and gas are cheaper where you live i wouldnt drop your plow for under twenty five either. most around here are running twenty five to thirty five and up. mowing lawns. dunno. i dont even mow my own lawn. i will go mow my mothers from time to time but try to find someone else to mow that. i get bored REAL quick mowing lawns. to each there own.

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

Beneath you? I started out feeling that way and there are times when I run into someone from my past and I "may" have that feeling. Then, at the end of the week, when I pay my 4 employees, and park our trucks (2 of which are 2007 models) for the weekend and my wife and son go out to spend the evening together, I realize it's all worth it. I started with soooo little.

Back to the topic. I would rather plow and spread the salt all day long. Not having to get out of the truck is awesome. I love the non-stop evenings with my DVD player during the continuous storms. The free coffee from the commercial properties we service and lastly, that big *** paid invoice every two weeks. I still love sitting on my Ferris pro cut too though. Tough to say. I enjoy being my own boss so whether I am rambling like I am now, plowing a storm or laying sod, it s all gravy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  16. bribrius

yeah. i think i have a secret ambition just to plow snow and open a strip bar. :gunsfiring:
  17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You open a Strip Bar then you have problem's getting employee's.
    It's a viscous cycle!
  18. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

What I have is a 6 foot mowing deck under my truck, i just drivearound the lawn like that and i finish in a couple minutes.....hahah

I like landscaping in the summer, much more fun and profitable than the other minimum wage jobs i work. I could make teh same amount landscaping in less than half a day as I do working all week at another job.
  19. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

May i add:

-You can stay relaxed,unmoved in cozy,warm correctly adjusted tempature truck.
    -Lots of loud/clear radio/tunes, without blarring rotating mess of mower cutting delights.
    -No thieving,from back of truck box to worry about,like trimmers and such while far away.
    -Lunch box,portable bathroom,office ALWAYS right stinking there at your disposal!
    -No elements to fend off(bees/rain/rabid dogs/Ted bundy's :)

...shall i go on exhaustinly or..?