1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving Western ultramount from one truck to another

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RH31379, Sep 7, 2016.

1. RH31379

RH31379 Member

Hello All,
    I have a western ultramount on my 99 dodge ram1500. Well my dodge is a typical dodge and has decided to let it self go to the land of rust, teh frame broke behind the rear shackles and I have decided it is not worth putting anymore money into.
    That being said. I came across a 1999 gmc 1500 Z71. I would like to put the plow on there from the dodge. I don't do alot of plowing with the pickup. 99% of my plowing is with my jeep wrangler. I use the truck to move the snow back as needed,so I am not to worried if it can handle it.
    Can anyone direct me on what I need to do the swap? plow frame part number and wiring part number?
    The ultramount is a standard plow about 99/2000 range.

Thanks in advance.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Western plow match should have all your answers

Randall Ave and Sawboy like this.
  3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

so is that 1999 Chevy 1500 a Silverado or a classic '88 body style? there were both available in '99. Also what kind of headlights does it have on the truck? hb3/hb4? If your plow is from 1999 or 2000 I would have thought it would be a unimount. but if it's a really early ultramount from the first year or two, it would have had relay wiring. And relay wiring for a '99 Chevy Silverado type truck is no longer available.
    .... so let's start with which type of '99 Chevy your truck is, which style headlights it has, which kind of wiring your plow is set up for? Then I can help you with part numbers!

4. RH31379

RH31379 Member

Sorry, nealybird... I never saw this reply and had not gotten to the plow until this weekend. My GMC is the newer body style. HB3 / HB4 headlights. I am certain it is an ultra mount and is a relay style. Physically checked yesterday.
    I was thinking of making adapters from the 9007 light sockets from the dodge to the 9005 sockets on the GMC to avoid cutting the harness. Then figured since there is only 2 wires on the GMC headlights that the fact that the Dodge has dual low beams shouldn't matter. But I haven't gotten that far yet.

Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Ray

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hi Ray,
    sorry, I've been too busy to get on here this week. so, to go on the '99 Silverado type truck, with relay wiring, that would have used a 63394 conversion kit, which had the correct h/l harness and 4 relays (because you end up with 6) and small connectors. Western doesn't have that available anymore.
    These instructions cover the 99-02 style and the 03-06 style Chevy relay wiring:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/67803_103103.pdf

If you are going to make do with what you have I would recommend just using the relay wiring you have to just make the plow work. Don't even unhook the truck headlights from the truck harness. Just use the headlight harness you have to go across the front of the truck and tap in the park and turns. Then you could just run your plow light low beams to a toggle switch on the dash and run them like work lights. You just won't have the headlights automatically changing over from truck headlights to plow headlights when you plug in at the grill.

make sense?