1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to plow more snow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by A1Lawns, Feb 17, 2008.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns Junior Member

I think this takes some ballz.
    Has anyone here moved so they can plow more snow during the winters?

Tell us your story...

Thanks.

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

You can come to Ottawa, Ontario! ...but then you'll soon be sick of snow! lol

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wisconsin, Minnesota or Michigan are pretty good places. Good luck to you.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

My 2nd or 3rd year when I was younger I would actually drive into and follow storms.

Plowing and pulling people out for days at a time depending on the storm and I would follow it east as it moved driving at times over 500 miles.

After a couple years of that I would go to Michigan every year to plow because they use to get more snow then Illinois every year.

Now that I am a old man and Michigan pay scaled has gone in the dumper I stay put and pray for Illinois to get hit hard every year.

And yes I made money every year doing it that way.

In Michigan I had a place to stay and work on my truck if needed so I did not have to put any out for hotels.

5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

If central MN would ever get snow..........

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Central MN, huh? I'm in Brainerd...where are you?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The problem is when you move you don't know anybody or have any connections. JMO

8. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I agree with Dave, you need to research not only the avg snowfall in the area you wish to move to, you also need to research just what price the market will bear. Let's say you move to a location that has alot of snow but not alot of commerce, yes you will have 250 in. of snow to plow.... but no one will pay much for services if they don't have the cash flow to spend. The economic base of the community will give you a better feeling for the total income you will receive for your services. Also, you need input from other plowers in the area to help you determine the price of service. You will not have that when you first move into an area and it can be difficult to drum up new business during the season as people usually have their contractors lined up BEFORE the snow. Hope this is helpful.

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats what plowsite is for....xysport:waving::D

10. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

move just to plow more snow?? and do what the rest of the year? i'd love to move where there is more snow also but i can't take all my connections and the long term large mowing account i have, or else i would. my .02

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm watching the weather right now... MN is -15" of snow for this year, we're at 21" of snow so far.

Good luck with chasing snow here.

12. A1Lawns

A1Lawns Junior Member

I believe everything you say. In fact, it's inspired me.

BUT I have to ask, how did you make any money driving 500 miles? I understand this was split over time but besides that one place in MI, where did you stay?

Could you go into further details??

Thanks again.

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Slept in the truck a few hours at a time.

I would look for independent gas stations and try to talk a trade of a fill up for a plow.
    Fill up at end of plow.

Any other place it was cash.

During a storm in most towns if you find someone doing lots and it is a heavy storm you can bet they will use you.

Did a lot of drives. If it was a weekday most times after 9 am I would see women out trying to shovel. I would offer a quick push for 10 or 20 bucks depending on if they wanted it all done or just the big stuff moved.

Pulling people out I never got less then a $100 bucks per.

This was 15 years ago and before so prices would have to be adjusted.
    I always have a pretty good set of tools on-board and made sure the truck was in the best condition it could be before leaving.

I believe someone could still make money doing this but it has to be big storms and you have to be willing to be on the go no matter what hunting for that $$.

Sounds like you are prostituting your services but really we all do anyway.
    If I were to do it or try it again I would try and have someone with me because there were times it got pretty hairy when pulling a car out in traffic.

A few guys here went to Colorado last year when we had a dry spell.
    You could do a search and find that thread and ask if they made money.

I think they took 3 trucks and rented a bobcat along the way.

14. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Oops, sorry. South Central MN, near Arlington.