1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Alaska !! Need advice from Alaskans !!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IPLOWSNO, Feb 18, 2014.

1. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    I have a buddy moving in the spring,

He's coming from NY, he's buying a new 3/4 ton Chevy and he has a a/c mud pro quad he ha some attachment too that he needs shipped there !!

I told him to buy the truck shipped to Alaska thru Chevy , don't know if they do that type of deal though,
    I also told him to sell the a/c and buy a Honda when he gets there.
    Reliability is the reason for that!!

How do you guys get new trucks? He got a ship price of 5 grand for the truck! He thinks it's too high!

Any advice you guys can offer I'll pass it along , I know there's guys from ak on here and figured it would be best too hear what you got to say your there and we're here
    Thanks!!

2. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

Might help to identify what area of Alaska, I hear its kind of a big place. :) Really though, I'm pretty sure they have car dealerships now. They're not all Eskimo's out there ice fishing for supper and heading home to their igloos on dog sleds. Lol

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Could buy the truck before heading up there, and drive it with the 4-wheeler in the back. But yeah, I agree... lose the ac and replace with either a honda or yamaha.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of areas are in fly in or boat only so that's why it costs alot to ship there.

5. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If he's not wanting to drive a rig up here, then buy one when you arrive, like one of the other guy's said, depends on where he is going to live. I'm in Fairbanks, theres more dealerships here than needed, Anchorage is the same. Unless your getting a company or Military to ship your rig free, it's a waste of money. For 5K I can fly outside and drive a rig back :) Like everywhere, the price of a new truck is somewhere in the middle. If your prosistant you can get about the same deal as buying from Dave Smith. As far as plowing with a side X side, lots of people use them, here in Fairbanks, it's typicaly good and cold, our snow is light so it's pushes easy compaired to the heavy lake effect type of snow. ( Anchorage type ) I say sell the S X S and but a mountain sled, it's way more fun :)

6. IPLOWSNO

He's moving to Palmer,

He says he has a 14 3/4 ton he can buy in Virginia for 23,000 and in Alaska they are 37

How much would a cat mud pro 700 cost him there?

7. scottr

scottr Senior Member

No idea on the cost, I won't drive a chevy or a cat.
    Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
    If he's trying to make truck deals over the phone or internet than he's going to get qouted top dollar. Just my 2 cents.

8. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

is that new "new" 14 for 23,000? Best I can find a 3/4 ton Gm 4x4 new no options is $31,000. $23,000 is pretty good.

9. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Yea, 14K differance between them tosses out a red flag to me, the old compareing apples to apples thing seems a little fishy.
    But, giving him the bennifet of the doubt and his homework is accurate, Who would even think twice? If he can pocket 14K, it's only a 4 day drive from the east coast if you punch the time clock and drive. I do it in 3 days running solo all the time from Minnesota. ( And palmer is only an hr from Anchorage, more "Big City" than he'll no what to do with )
    The Hwy up here is the fastest in the winter, no RV's and all the pot holes are filled in with ice and snow, the colder it is, the better the traction.

10. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

No way a 2014 2500 is going for 23000 new anywhere..

11. IPLOWSNO

No I asked him twice about the price, he's positive it's 23grand,

He says he really does his homework when he buys stuff, I'm with you though in thinking that price will change the day he walks thru the door!!

I even asked him if it was 2wd lol but he said no its 4,

12. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

Could you put me down for 3 of them? Also a 4x4 cab & chassis. I would like them to be delivered to the closest Auto Truck.... xysport