1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving Snow with Ford 655C -- Thanks for all the advice!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BB64, Feb 8, 2008.

1. BB64

BB64 Junior Member

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the advice they give on moving snow with heavy equipment -- without reading this site, last night would have been more of a cluster-fornication! By trade, I'm an over-educated idiot (or Electrical Engineer, your choice) so operating heavy equipment isn't my bread & butter.

Anyway, earlier this week, we got a good dumping here in Central WI, coupled with strong wind from an "odd" direction. Once critical plowing (done "with the storm") was finished, we had to go open up a friend's place, before he got back from vacation... the drifting was significant, about 3 - 4 feet high by his machine sheds, likewise in places on the road. The pickup with a V plow couldn't penetrate (left neat V imprints, though), so we waited until time was available and fired up his old iron -- Mustang 960 with a plow and Ford 655C. The Mustang started opening the road and could, with it's quick maneuverability, start to nip holes through the drifts and push those back while I cleared big drifts in the lots with the TLB.

The "driveway" is almost a mile of winding, hilly road -- without seeing the advice to steer via directional braking while the front was light, I would have been a wreck, backing and messing around in corners. Thanks! When I got to the house, I plowed the lot and stacked while the skidsteer delivered to me -- he cleaned the stoop and around the garages. We knew enough from reading here to divide and conquer -- the lots & drive look great and we used each machine's strengths to get that.

Request for advice: Other than more hours of experience running the equipment, any hints for better control when clearing a hairpin curve on a hill? I almost got into trouble a couple of times because everything slid to the downhill side, even while I tried to brake and steer. Once the sliding stopped, I'd put weight back on the front, steer and backup to try again. No harm, no foul, but figured I'd ask for hints. Thanks in advance!