1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving on up!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by toolin, Jan 29, 2006.

1. toolin

toolin Junior Member

Hey guys, hoping some of the more seasoned vets here can help me with a upcoming contract dillema.

I'm interested in putting a bid in on a job for my local municipality. They are asking for quotes on snow removal/salting for city streets. They require 7 full sized units (i.e. Internationals, commercial, city sized units) with plows, salters, and pre-wetting units do maintain city streets.
    As I only have experience with smaller, light duty pickups (we are a 6 truck operation), I have no idea what a fully outfitted big rig would go for. I need this info to submit the bid.

So, any of you with similiar equipment, what do the trucks with all the kit run new?

Thanks in advance

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

When we were getting charged by a contractor to do some of our village roads a few years ago it was $110/hr for a 5-yard truck with salter. We provided the salt. Hourly rates went up for weekend events too. As far as pre-wetting, it all depends what you buy and what you spray. Average 75-135 gallon electronic tailgate system runs $2500-$3500 installed (in this area).
    Liquid is your trouble. We make our own salt brine. After start-up costs, cost to make 1 gallon of brine...7-9 cents per gallon. Now, go buy mag-chloride or cal-chloride and see what that runs you a gallon.
    Hope this helps.