1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving North To Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Feb 15, 2009.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I saw a thread recently on Lawn Site where the question was asked where would the best place to move South,to extend the mowing season,I'm asking the same question in reverse,where would be the best place to move North,to extend the plow season?I live in NW NJ and cut grass about 7 months a year but would much sooner plow snow.

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

We have had about 150" here so far. Still have till the end off March, or a lttle more.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Greenland...lol

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Greenland sounds good. Alaska probally better. Alaska has a good growing season, and lots of snow in the winter, best of both worlds. Heck California for that matter too... lots of choices.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i dont think moving to plow snow is a smart idea. Atleast in the summer you know grass is going to grow, theres no guarantee its gonna snow

6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

no gurantee on rain either :rolleyes: drought conditions can hurt landscapers just as bad as snowless winters.

if i could move to some wheres to plow snow it would be yellowknife canada... tymusic

7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Dont bother. You can move to lake effect area of NY, but you just work twice as much for the money. Areas that are saturated with snow are also saturated with cheap plows. Much like you can mow year round in FL, but you will only get half as much as you get up here. Besides we have had a few pretty average or above years the last few so a dry year is statistically going to happen soon.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

9. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

yea he wouldnt make any money up here, we got this snowplowin thing handled.lol

10. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

or you can come 2 cleveland iv mowed and plowed in the same day more then ones

11. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the replys ,I'd really like to stay in the lower 48 though,I was thinking more about PA or upstate NY.

12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Season total to date:
    239"

Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan......Twin Lakes, Toivola, Mass City are all in the Lake Effect Snow belt up there and get pounded! I would love to plow up there :) And get a huge loader for what commercial work you can find!

13. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Well, I live in Northern Ontario, winters here always bring snow. You want to move here, I'll sell you my whole operation!

14. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Havent spent a lot of time up near Tug, but Im pretty sure they have the little that is there covered. I think you need to go to a more populated area like buffalo or syracuse, but we dont want to here about lowballing. Truckee is where its at, but a plow wont do you much good out there. Something like 10 feet in 12 days. Not uncommon to get 5 feet in 24 hours. Truckee itself a lot like S. Lake, lots of renters and "poor rich". Most spend too much time skiing and not enough time working, or they are too irie to care about snow removal. Not sure on whats happening at Breck.

15. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

how much? hahahaha

16. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

The simplest and best answer. The markets adjust and the only way to make good money is to operate your business differently than the other joey's...

If you do the same thing the others do, why expect more money...

:rolleyes: