1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving my conventional mount western from my old jeep to a new one... will it fit?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippoz, Aug 4, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz Member

hi all,

i have a question. i have a conventional mount western plow that was mounted on my 87 jeep cherokee laredo, that jeep is pretty much a parts car now...

i took off the plow and the mounts today and un-wired everything and put it off to the side.

im wondering if it will all fit on a 90 laredo, the vehicle looks the same to me from the outside and the inside but i wasnt able to get a good look at the undercarrage... I can't seem to get an answer on this from anyone i know and figured this would be the place.

also what am i going to need to do to the suspension. I have never done an install before...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get under the new truck and measure the frame spread. Then compare it to the old mount. See if they are the same measure? Get some muscle help and hold it up to frame and see if the thing fits and bolt holes line up.
    You might try the plow manufactures web site and see if you can down load the install manual for it.
    If the new truck has any kind of miles on it you will need a torch to burn off the bumper bolts if they have to come off.
    (cause they are not coming off with air tools many times)
    Use grade 8 fasteners to mount the new plow, buy new ones, industrial fastener places will have them much cheaper then plow places will!
    Add heavy duty shocks and timbrens,don't forget trans cooling and a big battery / big amp alternator.
    Someone should be able to answer if it will fit before the snow flies.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Should fit without any trouble, I believe anywhere from 86-96.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Call a western dealer, ask if the mount for a 1990 Laredo will fit earlier. They probabily won't have listings any longer for the mount you have, but they will have application listings for the 90 which will list probabily list as a range of years.