Snow Plowing Forum banner

Moving Joystick on Belt driven plow

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ss502gmc 
#1 ·
Re posted from "Homeowners" section

Hi;

Fisher 7.5 foot, control stick has "lockdown" collar that you depress and turn to unlock

Finally picked up that GMC and would you believe my biggest aggravation is position of plow control

It is mounted just to left of turn signal on dash and when depressing clutch you end up raking your shin over bottom of control

I'm not familiar if this plate (Joystick) is simply mounted through foam of dash or is there some metal back there?

what I would like to do is move it upward about 2" and to the right about same. Will this cause problems with cables?

Thanks

#2 ·
will go take pics of my custom mounting for ya. keep a eye out for them.

#5 ·
took and modifyed the front of the stock joystick with a removing the stock face plate. then used same thickness plate. made template to fit in a/c duct hole not used on my truck. then cut out the pattern for the stick to use and work. welded it to the remaning joystick unit minus front plate. and bolted it in the a/c duct area i made it for. then cut out hole in dash bezel cover.

when all installed it fits me like a glove. when sitting in seat all i do is rest my hand /arm on knee and run the joystick all day no problems. and if i ever hit my knee on it i must be doing somthing wrong. :eek:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Steering wheel Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

#7 ·
i know his truck is newer than my 73-87 but gives him a good idea to start thinking with.

i actuly used a install kit with cables for a 88-95 truck. so i could get the serp belt drive brackets for my swaped motor. i had the cables for the 73-87 for jstick to valve. but thay were to long were i moved it to. so i used the 88-95 cables with just a bit of slak for body /truck flex and movement.

#8 ·
SweetK

You wanna do that install for rme :yow!: That is one sweet convenient setup, best I have seen in the type truck

Problem is, way past my ability and skills

I was hoping to take existing mount and move it toward door a couple inches and further up dash an inch or two, or maybe wear a shin guard

I will take a couple pics today and show you what I have and maybe you could give me a few "Simple" suggestions?

In another life I had the nicest Chevy Sport, looked just like "Hooper" when the movie came out, except it was a bright yellow Chevy Sport, short stepside, wooden bed "Heavy half" ton, 400CID with T 400 trans and positive trac rear, damm that thing could turn and push snow, loved it

First year storms 1978-79 paid for truck, plowed 5 more years and replaced a front driveshaft CV joint, that's it

Only dig I had on that truck was we were having a slight gas crisis a the time and Chevy sent truck through with either a 12 or 13 gallon side tank, one tank with plow truck that got 8 mpg pulling a 40 foot trailer, plowing 3 feet of snow or cruising at 55, didn't matter, so every 80 miles or so I was sniffing for fuel and we didn't have a 24/7 fuel stop on every corner back then

Had a 490 gallon installed where rear tire was under bed, 300 pounds squarely behind rear axle helped transaction tremendously

Now, I need to make do with a tire GMC, but if I get half out of this old girl the Chevy gave I will be all set

I can't do much of the make a nickle work these days, so I hope for easy solutions xysport

#9 ·
I have a 94 chevy like that and when i had that type of joy stick i used shorter cables and moved my fuse panel and mounted the joystick in there and the only thing sticking out was the handle just like SWEETK30 without the complete customization

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.