1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving into LARGE Residentials, Help with price

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by musclecarboy, Dec 22, 2007.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys,
    I've been asked for a bid for plowing for a new 12,000sq ft house that my friend's family just built. I told them $125 per push. What do you guys think?

As you can see, its 171' long and the 2 enterances are about 125' apart.

Thanks Guys!

ario's driveway.JPG
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Too high. Id say more like 75 for 2-5.

Pretty easy push as far as those kinds of drives go.
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$125 wow i hope you get it, its better than charging $10. i would say more like $80-$60 depending on local market, travel, equipment, etc...

the larger stuff like this you would have to think about it hourly. most people shoot for around $125per hr so would it really take you an hour to do that drive?
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

$40 to $50
    at most (maybe more if it's a long way away)
    it's a 5 to 10 minute push
    no backdragging that I see.
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Yeah...$50-60....Twice around the circle pushing to the inside and 2 or 3 swipes up the end.....Lots of room to pile it at the end of the drive behind the house.
  6. ADK

ADK Member

A house that big, there going to want good service and a nice clean job. I'd be looking at $80-90 per, plus deicing...........:nod:
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I would say $50 - $60 is fair. It's as easy of a big driveway as you can get ,and probably a lot of potential for more customers (neighbors). Price it right and get the neighbors ,price it too high and get none. Don't get me wrong I would love to do that drive for $125.
    Good Luck,
  8. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I have a similar driveway. It is actually alot easier to do than most smaller ones. If I was biding it aroung here it would be about $60-80.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming they want the walks shoveled too, probably around back also. I'd say $125 for the area your in will be fine. The house must be worth between 1.5 and 2.5 million so hopefully your friends dad will share his wealth with his son's friend.
  10. mexiking

mexiking Member
    from NJ

$125 looks good with sidewalks and some salt maybe... Don't lowball.
  11. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Sorry......Maybe $125 is fine for that, but the reasoning is not..............This is why plow people get a bad name................They have more money, so squeeze them.

Tow truck guys are in the same boat, because some think that it should cost 3x as much to tow a Beemer than a Pontiac
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nicer houses generally have more stuff to worry about, like landscaping. retaining wall, sprinkler heads, etc. Lets face it, your probably going to charge a 12000 sq/ft house a little more then a 1200 ft one. It's the same as me charging more to do prestige industrial over lets say the same size buget industrial. IMO plow guys don't have a bad name, not around here anyway. I charge the $ and I get the job done and sorry if I charge more for a nicer place but that's the way it is. Being stuck in the ditch and needing a tow is totally different then asking for a per price plow before it snows. JMO
  13. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Point taken.................I have also gotten it the other way. I just have an older truck with a small plow. When some people flag me over to do their drive and I tell them a price, I have had people say that since I have an older POS, that they shouldn't pay me as much.....I guess because I don't have the big truck payments. ...............I suppose unless I have all the good I cant do a decent job. ........................I just say, no thanks and they can go back to their shovel.
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Point taken, after looking at the push again $125 is pretty steep but alot of times friends give you a break when they see someone young working hard. I bet someone would do that drive for $500 for the winter, if he has more nearby. They should just call Tony's snowblowing, he'll do it for $200 for the whole winter.
  15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$1.25-2.5mil :confused: maybe up in canadia:p we have 3-4 subdivisions in my area that are full of houses just like that that are no where near even 1/2 a mil. more like $300-400 thousand
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Area does make quit a difference, I'm assuming it's in Richmond Hill or surrounding area. You'll have troble finding a nice town house for much less then $300k around here and the closer you get to the city, the more $ they are. Where exactly is the house Musclecar Boy? On edit that house doesn't look anywhere near 12000 sq/ft.
  17. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Look at it this way.....I just retired. I had a home near Toronto...2 bedroom, 60x100 lot.....I sold it, bought a property up here....about 80 miles North west.........5 bedroom, 1 1/2 acres....nice place and put 100 Gs in my pocket..............Prices are crazy down there.

Now, I am waiting for them to go up here....but will have to move further north.
  18. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

don't be afraid to charge what its worth. I've got a couple driveways that size and larger and they're $80-175/push. Don't count your eggs before they hatch because you will get your cut throat by someone else eventually with the big ones.
  19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For me the price of the house has nothing to do with the cost of plowing the drive.If that drive was connected to a shack would you charge less?
  20. mexiking

mexiking Member
    from NJ

$125 is good
    Trucks are 30-40k
    Plows are 5k
    Insurace is a lotofkn$$$

We only plow a few Months of the year.... Don't LowBall.