1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from driveways to condos with 1500Z71

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by drh76, Sep 15, 2009.

1. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

I am making the leap from driveways to plowing condo complexes this year. I need to keep my Chevy 1500 Z71 with a V8 for one more year. I have gotten mixed responses as to weather the size of the truck is up to the task. Any one care to weigh in.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I'm sure you are used to plowing with the storm up there- Do you have anyone to back you up/ machine to move your big piles? Otherwise, it'll be like bringing a knife to a gunfight, you can only slice and dice for so long till you get hit. How big of a complex?

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think you will have any problems at all. There are many 1/2 tons plowing and I have a few guys working for me with 1/2's. I plow mainly schools which will have bigger pushes then the condo you will be doing I bet.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 1/2 ton will work just fine.
    Plow with the storm as much as possible.

5. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

condo

About a dozen units, and a half mile of road broken up with roundabouts for the drives. I do have a couple of people to ask for back up. If you had to do it with my set up what problems would you be waiting for?

Thanks for your time

6. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. How do you like those older trucks? Have they been used to plow from the git go?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just do all the regular maintenance stuff. Oil, trans, transfer case, axle fluids. A big tranny cooler is wise with the 4L60e. Timbrens up front help, and ballast/counterweight helps very much.

What are you doing for ice management?

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

When you said condo complex, I envisioned 100 units and 6 miles of road.:dizzy:
    For a development that size you should be fine, just don't let it pile up. Whats your average yearly snowfall? The only real problem I see is the ability to push back the larger piles when necessary. A heavier truck would benefit you in that situation. Good luck.

9. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Just for insurance get a trans temp gauge. Last winter I lost my tranny the day before xmas eve. So with the holidays I didnt get it back for almost 3 weeks. If I didn't have a back up truck I would have paid a sub all my profits for those 3 weeks. I was plowing my apartment complex about 1 1/2 times yours with a f250. Dont drive like you stole it and you should be fine.

10. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

tranny tremp

I asked a local equipment dealer about those gauges and he looked at me like I tried to order a cheeseburger and fries. Where is a good place to find out about those? I am going to call around.

11. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

I was thinking about just paying a buddy to come through with his sander. I am looking to close on a couple more places about the same size, and I worry about killing this truck my Jan. If the tranny falls out in April while three tires roll in different directions I can live with that.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Too funny. Good attitude though. If you can use straight salt you might consider a tailgate unit. Would serve as your ballast too.

13. JTK324

JTK324 Senior Member

The truck should be fine but just remember on thing; with a condo complex they dont want to here that your truck cant push the snow any higher or that there is to muchI made that jump about 6 years ago and I learned real fast how much they just want it done with out any excuses

14. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

condo

I got that feeling from them. Thanks for the tip.