1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving cars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Witcher, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I plow one of the local Wal Marts here. There are always trucks,campers,homeless people living in there cars that we have to plow around. It really gets annoying. Not to mention the occasional abandoned car. Well , all winter we have had to plow around this dodge caravan . So today we go out to plow the lot and I just got fed up and put the plow up against the side of it and pushed it sideways about 50 ft up next to the island. I was surprised at how easy it pushed. Anyone else done the same thing?
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I picked a car up with the pallet forks on the loader, that had been parked there for over a month. Never pushed one though, LOL Have thought about it.:drinkup:
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Any damage to the car, Mark? I suppose you couldn't care less any more after going around it all the time.
  4. Mark Witcher

Actually no big dents or damage to the van. Some scratched paint from cutting edge. Upper part was protected by my rubber snow deflector. But I didnt care if it got damage:)
    I eased into real easy, and i didnt even put truck in low range.
  5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure no one catchs that on security camera, be real bad if the guy wanted to come after you and he had it on tape.
  6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

if your serious , you are a [​IMG]<b>Moron</b>....I hope they come after you..All you needed to do is call the towing company that takes care of the lot. Or just call a local towing company and tell them that the car is abandon and you need it out of your way, they will gladly come and get it.....
  7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

False. Around here, tow trucks won't even pick it up without cash, all it does is cause a headache for them once the person wants it.
  8. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Actually what happens is this...Or what could happen... when you go to push sideways...You can do damage to the hubs, break ball joints, bend axles, etc... If the tire has good grip on the pavement... It will not want to slide too easily and the whole rim/hub assembly will want to collapse under the car....:jester: LOL
  9. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Wow!!! :eek: All I can say is that takes balls. We do a Walmart too and I'm CONSTANTLY battling with idiots like your buddy in the Dodge Caravan. I have to admit I'd like to do like you did, but that account is a cash cow for us and couldn't afford to lose it.

As we all know, Walmart has cameras everywhere on the property and no matter how bad I want a car moved, I wouldn't even think of doing that!!! If they review the tapes you can kiss that account goodbye. I have to admit that that was funny as hell to read though.

Maybe a little too drastic... but cheers to you for doing what we all would like to do :drinkup:
  10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

never done it but have always been to the point where I wanted to but then I thought of how much I cared for the account..

I wouldn't push it with my plow bud id sure hook a tow strap to it and move it.
  11. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Around here we just call the tow company and they come and get it. We never need to pay them since they get paid like $200 or something when the people who own it come get it out of the yard. My uncle, whos a tow truck operator up in Maine was even surprised to hear that we don't get a cut of what they get.

That is funny, I have done that before as well. But it was to our own POS s10 runner truck and I moved it about 5 feet back into an alcove. I hope they don't notice that. Be sure to update as to wether or not you hear about it.

STRONGARM Senior Member

Why not just plow the van in? Thats what we do if the cars been around to long.
  13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what gets done around here.... then it becomes a hazard and the manager of the property will take care of it, finally.
  14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah thats what we do, if the car has been sitting there for a while! I dont think i will ever go to the extreme of ramming the car out of the way!:dizzy:

But what do i know?:rolleyes: It never snows here!:cry:
  15. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i plow a couple strip malls and love hitting the shopping carts at night and launching them into the woods or the parking lot next door where my buddy plows. I have burried many cars that sit for awhile.
    What i hate is when you have one are clean and your doing another area away from the door and someone parks in the area that isnt cleaned and looks at ya to laugh, i usually will dig the snow from the piles and bury them for it. The look on their face when they come back out is great.
  16. Mark Witcher

Well lets set a few things straight here boys.
    #1, Tow company wont come and get an abanoned car on private property unless owner of the property(Walmart) is willing to pay the bill.They wont.
    # 2 , Once before manager had one of his employees move a car off the property with a forklift.
    # 3 , Im not worried about owner of said car coming after me. Car has not moved from its spot in over 2 months.
    # 4, Walmart just doesnt give a crap. I have had this account with Wally world for 9 years. I know the people.
    # 5 , Yes I do have BIG balls.

And I would never do like some of you guys and destroy the shopping carts pushing into piles and launching them into next parking lot. Now that will get the stores attention.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  17. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

# 5 , Yes I do have BIG balls.

And that is all that matters payup
  18. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Now thats funny around here the vehicle is probably stolen. I just call my fellow brothers the cops they run it and tow it, usually stolen. But props to you anyway, hope no one saw it.

Copper by night, landscaper, plower by day. :gunsfiring:
  19. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I have moved cars with a loader, I worked for lexus years ago and while employed there we had like a 30 inch snow. We brought in my god fathers 4x4 case backhoe and the owner of the dealership was there, he was so flustered with things moving pretty slow he told us to scoop snow from a few ft behind the cars and slowly lift and push them forward so the rows where they were parked could be cleared, actually worked very well........no damage at all.......
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Never moved one, I've always wanted to just ram one with a V plow when it's been abandoned. Never had the BALLS to do it though. :eek: