1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving a SnowEx V-6000 from Toyota to Ram

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Fat Bald Guy, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Fat Bald Guy

Fat Bald Guy Junior Member

I recently picked up a 92 Toyota that has a SnowEx V-6000. Obviously should it be filled with salt the front end would be in the air. I am moving the spreader to my Ram 3500. I need to know if anyone can help me find the owner's manual and installation instructions, either online or in a PDF file or something. This is the first spreader I have purchased, but went used as I picked up the truck with spreader and 6 foot blade for less than the price of the spreader.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Here is the contact info for Trynex (Snowex is a divison of them)

Trynex International
    23455 Regency Park Dr
    Warren, MI 48089
    (586) 756-6555

Maybe they can email you a copy.

3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I am buying a snowex spreader very soon and wondering if it was a hard install? I was thinking about doing it myself to save some money? Anyone ever do it and what would you say?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm not sure they own any computers, they sure don't have a web presence.

5. crew cuts

crew cuts Junior Member
    from Omaha

No kidding, I have been googleing them for days and can't find a single site that looks like their own.

6. Fat Bald Guy

Still looking for manual.

I'll let you know how long the instal takes, hopefully I"ll be able to track down a book to speed it up.. Hopefully I can call Tyrex on Monday and straighten it out.

Local dealer here wanted $400.oo plus tax on a new unit.. more to move from one to the other.

7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Thanks fat blad guy, Let us know how it works out for you

8. Fat Bald Guy

I called Trynex today, they are emailing me a manual in a PDF format... it will be for the v3000, v6000 and v8000... It will be a strating point for my install....

Ever seen a 1 yrd spreader on a toyota? Little heavy on the rear end, when its full..

reduced truck.jpg

9. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

You act like it cant handle it or something wesport

Does snowex have a website you were able to get in touch with someone off of?

10. Fat Bald Guy

Lets just say the gentleman I bought it from told me he only once went over half full on the spreader.

First time out he went for full, so he was about 500 lbs of spreader and 1000 lbs of salt. Said the truck was a little laboured but moved OK.. problem was, even with the little bit of extra weight from the plow he had virtually no steering...

Either way I am sure it will sit just fine in the Ram.

Hopefully the manual shows up in the email today.

Local shop tells me the main 25 foot wiring harness is about $350.. and the second set of wiring is about 170 or so....

so it goes without saying I'll be pulling them out of the old truck.

11. Fat Bald Guy

Just an update on two items.

First, to run the wiring is quite simple 20 mins or less to run the to wires from batttery to cab and about another 35 to run all the control wiring from the cab back to the spreader. 4 guys easily moved the unit from the floor to the box, and I assume that if you are buying from the dealer with no instal they would help you lift it in. All wiring can be done with the spreader in the box or on the floor. All the wire ends are quite easy, two on the battery and the rest only fit where the fittings on them will let them go... My only problem is there is one thin red wire by itself.... I think it goes to an ignition controlled circuit but not sure... hence my desire for the owner's manual..

Second, as for contacting TrynEx / SnowEx I did get a hold of them.. they seem to have no web site. I have called twice and talked to 2 different people, both of who have told me they would email me a owners manual... Yet still no manual... I also contacted the local dealer, same result, was told they'd email me a copy... and yet still no manual..

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't blame the dealer, Snow-Ex is hard to deal with. They are probably have the same trouble you are. I don't even try to deal with them anymore. i support what comes thought the door the best I can, but no one gets much support from the factory.

13. Fat Bald Guy

Yes you are right, I don't blame the dealer.

I just need to be sure the last wire is for an ignition controled circuit.... I'm 99 % sure.... But....Don't feel like frying the control unit...if i'm wrong.

14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I just keep looking up to the picture seeing that spreader in that truck. :dizzy:

It doesn't sound as if its anything too bad to install I may give mine a shot, semi nervous about buying a snowex hearing how difficult it is to get simple things done with them.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes the little red wire is keyed 12 volt.

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I run a 6ft Snoway / 7ft Fisher on my Toyota. I can heap over a yard in there and it handles it fine. Not going to win a drag race but really feels no different then the 550 with its plow on a bed loaded with 2-3 yards.

IMO that spreader is small for a 3500 Ram unless you need the bed space why not run a full size spreader?

17. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

18. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

19. Fat Bald Guy

Thanks for the help guys, that answers what I needed to know.

The Toyota cost me less with the plow and salter on it then I could find either a new or used spreader for. So, while it does look a little small on the Ram it does leave me some space. If the price difference wasn't so large I would have gone with the 8000. But the price was right and as it stands now, with the location of the salt supply and the location of the clients I am only using 5 min of travel. I am lucky on the locations.

I would recomend installing your own spreader if you have the space and time. All I was missing was the manual and I bet my total instal time would be under 3 hours for 1 guy. that includes coffee, bathroom, phone calls and talking tothe othe rguys in the shop. Glad i did not shell out $400 on install.

Don't get me wrong looking at overhead costs and what not I don't have a problem with the dealer charging a price to cover their costs and return on investments.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707