1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moving 2200 miles with plow on the front?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by coolbns, Apr 3, 2009.

1. coolbns

coolbns Junior Member

Evening all!

Here is my problem. I am flying to WA state and then driving with my father to northern Indiana. We are driving his 2005 F350 6.0 L diesel: we will be towing his 32FT fifth wheel, and here is the kicker, he wants to bring his 3 or 4 year old blizzard blade....we are going to have to mount it and drive it on the front all the way to Indiana. The trailer will have all of his personal belongings in it so it will be heavier than normal....and then the plow issue?!!!!

Has anyone ever done this, or does anyone have any suggestions....does, don'ts? I am pretty concerned! He thinks it will be just fine. We are leaving WA near the end of this month.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If it doesn't overheat I'll be very surprised.
  3. coolbns

coolbns Junior Member

I just talked to my dad again and he did say that it has the tranny cooler with the fan. I am VERY concerned
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

You need to find a way to haul it
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

cant you put it in the bed ?

if you take it easy and keep one eye on the trans temp and coolant temp you may make it in one piece but man thats a long haul

I dont like driving the 40 miles to my sub accounts every storm with plow on the front
  6. fine79

fine79 Junior Member
    from Kansas

Where 'bouts in WA? Could be a mountain pass climb, or all dowhill:D

How about tying it on the tail of the trailer? Might help counter the added weight...
  7. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Get it in the truck bed somehow.Ya don't want to be looking at that all that way AND keeping an eye on the trailer too!Not sure what the trailer bumper is like ,could lay the blade on its face, jack it up tight to bumper(with the framework sticking up and strap it there?Make sure it gona stay.Ya don't want some guy on his harley launching 100ft in the air off it!!
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You guys missed the part where he said he wants to bring his 5TH WHEEL so putting it into the bed is not an option.

Driving 2200 miles with a plow on is pure insanity. Not only is it going to stress the engine from running at a higher temp than normal, your truck's front end isn't designed to handle that kind of weight over that many miles. I have to believe your ball joints would be shot after that trip.

How about this...since he's going to have a 5th wheel, you are allowed to pull a second trailer behind that. A 2 place snowmobile trailer would keep you within your overall length restriction and it would handle the weight of the plow just fine.
  9. mikefras

mikefras Member

I squeeze my blade under the 5th wheel no probs, just leave the mount and hydraulics on the truck. A bit of a pain but it works

RODHALL Senior Member

put the blade in the 5th wheel.

i'm guessing it is an enclosed trailer??? just set it on back and slide it in up against one of the sides...

open trailer should not be any issue with setting it up on and hauling it
  11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Any chance you have a picture of that? I can't figure out how it can be done but who knows...
  12. coolbns

coolbns Junior Member

correct me if I'm wrong (I don't own or use a plow) the plow must weigh about 1000 pounds? I can't imagine getting the blade into the trailer without damaging the door or carpet. I am impressed that MIkefras gets his into the bed under the fifth wheel. I am gonna have to really look at that when I get there.

As far as the mountains....He lives near Winthrop...about 3.5 hours from Idaho and the pass! The major mountains that we will encounter are in Idaho. After that...it is downhill and flat from there to Indiana!

Dad said that the bumper rating was 200 lbs. We would have to pay to get a hitch installed to the trailer and then rent a trailer. He wasn't willing to pay $300 to 600 to ship the blade to begin with!
  13. mikefras

mikefras Member

To clarify I only slide the moldboard between the hitch and the wheel wells curve facing out and it leans over enough for the 5th wheel to clear it in turns. The mount and frame stay on the front of the truck
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Your right that plow weighs 1,000lbs. I agree with a small trailer behind the 5th. No way would I drive that far with a blade on the front.

If not make some sort of platform for the back of the 5th. People put smaller things back there just support it a little better.
  15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Would it fit across the bed rails in front of the 5th, do you have a long box?
  16. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Are we talking about a camper 5th wheel here ?
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That would be my guess. He says it has carpet.
  18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If it were me I would do a few things 1st. Sometimes a long trip with all yer stuff is just the way it has to be. Sounds like Dad is moving to Indiana.

I would invest in some of that purple oil products (not sure of product name) and change the stuff out in the axles and transmission, maybe the engine. I would for sure go with at least Mobile 1 synthetic for sure. Those will bring down temps a small fraction.

Make sure your cooling system is in proper working condition maybe even get a preventive flush with new Prestone.

Make absolutely sure you have a good if not new HD fan clutch. This may be the number 1 thing to make sure is working properly. For some extra protection I may even buy a small electric cooling fan and install that in front of the radiator.

Make sure you find the air flow sweet spot for the plow when driving. There will be one spot angled lowered or in some position that will offer maximum cooling and air flow while driving @ 55 - 60 mph. Find it and keep it there while driving. Realize your low spot so when you take a off ramp it is in your mind to raise or straighten plow enough so you wont drag metal.

Bring along a extra 6 qts of oil and a filter so you can change the oil somewhere at the half way point.

I have driven many trucks with the plows on over 500 miles on the hwy. 500 may not be 2,000 but I have never had problems following the steps outlined above.

Good luck and watch those deer. :eek:
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sell the plow. It's not the best time to be selling, but the fuel (and stress) saved will offset it.
  20. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Don't your exact model but this one is...
    outside the box (way out).
    Take off the trip springs and lay blade flat
    may need some supports.

Check with a local trucking company.
    Ship just the moldboard.
    Carry the head gear someplace.
    Some one may have a spot for it.