1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Movie of Strobe vs H3 Beacon .

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by FisherVMan, Feb 18, 2011.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

A few weeks ago I posted that we had taken an old broken shorted out strobe light and instead of throwing it away I took a one dollar H3 bulb I got outta china off Ebay and stuck it in the old Strobe housing and hooked it up thru a common flasher same as you have on your blinkers. A few guys asked for a movie so they could see themselfs ...... here it is on YouTube with this link . The strobe light on the right is an old Firebolt Plus. Enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOEQX5B6cw

ps. Have not got around to getting the movie of the 120W Echo strobes up yet but I will...............

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Nice, I too enjoy modding things to keep them working.

With a 100W bulb, all the lights in my Jeep would dim every time it flashed!

3. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I hear you on the "dimming issue" I didnt have room for another battery; so just bought a 300amp alternator ........................ that will take most of the dim outta dimming! I am going to swap my 4 year old battery out with a new Optima Red Top this summer as I have heard alot of guys raving about how much better they seam to work for them so there must be something in all the comments I see posted about the Optima Battery?

4. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I experienced the dimming problem on my 89 F250 7.3

Installed new batteries, cleaned/tested/inspected all wiring and connections, etc.

Didn't want to upgrade to a 3g alternator as the factory unit tested 96% of factory specs.

I installed 2 yellow top optimas and I can run truck lights, plow lights, strobes, 110W of back lights along with heater, radio, etc. No brown outs when running the sno-way plow and voltage never drops below 12.8V on my digital meter. Generally running 13.6V

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

If you go optima, go Red, Yellow is for deep cycling applications.

I really like LED for it's lower power consumption, and when plowing I only raise the plow a couple inches when backing up to make another pass.

Is that light you made a magnetic base unit? If so, you could wire 20' or so of cable to it and install a cig lighter plug and keep it as a backup light in case your primary one fails.. 100W at 12V should be about 8.3 amps, many cig light plugs have 15A fuses, go to a 55W bulb and see about half that amperage.

6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Yea the light was an old 3300A Mag base strobe .............. it blew the big condenser and I picked one up on ebay and soldered it in but it still wouldnt work.............. so accepted defeat and was just going to chuck it out . I had bought a dozen of those little H3 100W bulbs for my tractor lights so had lots of them laying around and thought I wonder how that would look................ after I installed it I will say this at nite it is a little brighter than the strobe but in the day time it is MUCH more noticeable.
    I am going with the Red Top for sure....................cheers