1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Movement limiter

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by zvizeman, Jul 25, 2016.

1. zvizeman

zvizeman Junior Member

Hello all:
    I have a Snowbear plow. The winch motor quit on it. I replaced it with a conventional winch, which works pretty well, except, there is no limit for its raise, and sometime, when I cannot see how far I am pulling the plow up, it can snap the raising wire.

Does anyone know an easy way for limiting the movement of the winch. As you know, the original winch has a limiter for how far the winch moves.
    Cheers,
    ZVizeman

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I know nothing about the winches, so I'll chime in.....is the limiter something that you can take off your old winch and somehow rig it up to the new one?

3. zvizeman

zvizeman Junior Member

No; apparently it is something in their motor (if I am not wrong!)
    Cheers

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Maybe just put plow markers on the ends of your blades so that you can see how high it is. Nice and simple solution.

5. zvizeman

zvizeman Junior Member

Unfortunately I tried that already; however, in the midst of cleaning, and sometimes getting stock in snow and ice, that simple trick does not work! I like to get things done the way they were designed and intended to be done by the experts!
    Thanks for your reply.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I like to get things done the way they were designed and intended to be done by the experts!

Well then, the way I see it you have 3 options.
    1). Make a limit switch to work with your current set up.
    2). Guess how high it is and just stop it when you think your there.
    3). Get the proper winch! In your own quoted words above, you went against your judgment.

7. zvizeman

zvizeman Junior Member

Wow; thank you for the words of wisdom you offered - never thought of option No. 3!!!!

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Well than, Since you don't like the good options listed above. What or why does getting stuck have to do with it? I don't get stuck. If bumping that plow up where you can go in reverse without breaking the cable is not a option you made a mistake purchasing the winch you bought.

Personally I think it's a operator issue, Not the winch. :rolleyes:

9. zvizeman

zvizeman Junior Member

Please friends, if you do not have answer to my simple question, please - please do not offer other suggestions.

My question again: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO LIMIT THE TRAVEL OF A WINCH?
    I do hope the above simple question gets and appropriate and pertinent answer.
    Thank you in advance!

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Wasn't the answer already given?
    It's an internal switch in their winch.
    So refer back to my already given 3 options

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well Zman....I see ur off to a fine start.

I've never owned, a snow bear that is.....But i have a few winches.

What exactly you breaking, the winch line or is it something on the plow it self?

What kind of winch, what's it rated for? Details, details....

I picturing the plow frame is bottoming out against the truck, and tether on the plow is breaking, right?

Can you post pics?

Why didn't you replace the part with the correct one?

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

13. zvizeman

zvizeman Junior Member

Thank you for the suggestion. However, when I click on the video URL, the YouTube says: " the video is not available".
    Would you kindly send me the working URL for the video?
    Thank you in advance!

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Don't know why it's not working, One of these guys will make it work hopefully.

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

https://youtu.be/zyltK6pmJGg

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

im a sucker for YouTube... Dagnamit!!!