1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mouse nest on spreader motor.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Lawnscape89, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

It seems to happen every year. I store my spreaders on a farm that is seldom used and near fields (but in a garage). The first year it happened, I didn't find it until it almost caught fire (on a different spreader). Now, it's one of the first things I check when getting them ready. It's just a pain. In the first pic, you can barely see the problem. Last year, I found a snake skin in there. Guess he was looking for dinner:) . Maybe I should put poison in there to keep 'em out, but I'm not sure if that'll work. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

IMGP1479 (Small).JPG

IMGP1480 (Small).JPG

IMGP1475 (Small).JPG

IMGP1478 (WinCE).JPG
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No farm cats ?
  3. Lawnscape89

No, just a crop farm. No house, etc., just out buildings.
  4. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Why not just leave the engine cover off when you store it? And put some moth balls on and around it too. That should keep them away. And if they come back just shoot em!
    :gunsfiring: http://en.t45ol.com/play/94/kill-mouse.html
  5. Lawnscape89

Never thought about leaving the cover off! I guess if there's no place to hide, they'll go somewhere else. Moth balls? I'm not to sure I feel like catching a bunch of moths and then .... Oh, you mean the kind in a box .:blush2: Probably safer than poison, too. Thanks.

PS: Thanks for the cool game but I could'nt hit him. I'll keep trying.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

7. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Mouse problem

Maybe a couple of farm cats would do the trick.

Ray Grimes
  8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Stuff ether steel wool or aluminum foil around that area before you store it but make it easiy to remove it without taking off the cover. Also, make sure that you put some in the exhaust and air breather openings too.
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks...

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

that will happen!

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yep this year and last as a matter of fact we found the same thing, same spot, i always check it when gettinf ready for winter, i also found a nest in the air filter of our 88 ford dump as well this year, lol they were getting into the cab and pulling cotten from the seat, and climbing back into the engine bay to make the nest, they are tricky little guys thats for sure.
  12. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Been there, done that.