1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting ?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by MBB, Oct 29, 2005.

1. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Hi all New to sight, just set up a bllizzard810 on F350 99. Plow is about 2 years old. question I have concerns verticle plates that mount to frame. The plow and mount came off a 02 f250, used same to install on 99 only have 2 bolts each side holding verticle plates to frame, yes they are the proper type, seems kind of weak to me as all the pressures are on these bolts. All my older plows (fisher, western) had a lot more involved mounts than this. I had this dealer installed as I slipped a disc recently & did not want to risk making anything worse right now. Looked on the Blizzard sight but found nothing regarding install of push plates ect. All that is there are the 2 verticle plates & the cross bar that the plow attaches to. Am I missing a part or just worrying about nothing. Thanks for info In advance. CRT

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I just ran into the exact same thing swapping a plow from an 03 back to an 01. Seems the mount you have is the older style mount with 2 bushings. I did not know they made a new mount with 3 bushings that went much further back on the frame. Fortunatley for me I was having the plow installed by the #1 blizzard dealer on planet earth, and Jerre refused to install the older mount. Something about how he would be doing a diservice to me. He installed the new style mount plates and push bar, and even gave me a trade in on the old one. That is why I traveled 20 hrs round trip for top notch service.:redbounce
    I personally question the reliability of an installer who would not at least mention the option of installing the updated mount.
    Dino

3. MBB

MBB Senior Member

thanks for the information.

4. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

is this what you have

Hitch.JPG

5. MBB

MBB Senior Member

to rob

Yes that pic looks about the same

6. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Front end drops 2" when I pick up plow, have timbrens on. Have not added counter balance weight to bed yet. Front axel rated 4200. do I need different springs? seemed to drive ok on way back from install.

7. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

This a post I put up the other day http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=27970
    If you want to change the springs.... but I think your ok I have 04 with 5200# front end and I drop less than 1" so it seems ther is 1000 for 1000 exchange. For the counter balance you would need a veary heavy load to do the off set I would not load any more than you would use. let me know how it goes with the plow.:)

8. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I have the exact same issue. Older plates on a '99 F250. Four bolts are all that hold it on - and thats through the (relatively) thin frame steel. There is no sizable bearing area at all. Just what you get out of the bolts. I figure 1/2 bolt x 1/8? frame. Thats only 0.0625 x 4 bolts = 0.25 square inches of bearing surface.

I will be making two angle brackets - one for each side that go to the two oval holes in the plow frame to the horizontal brackets Ford welded to the truck frame. Look under yours and you'll see what I'm talking about. Maybe I'll take some pictures.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  9. MBB

MBB Senior Member

To Terry snow, Sounds interesting, I found a company in Alberta, Canada that makes helper springs for the front leafs, full length, taperd, adds 500# per side, 1.5" lift. $140 a set including shipping. Have a set on the way. Will level truck w/o plow and not jar your teeth out unhitched.(according to the gentelman I talked to) Checked around town (MIlw.WI) for x code or similar spring sets. prices ranged from $177 (dealer) to $265 per ea. plus install. Was quoted $180 + small parts for install on replacement sets. The Canada shop is a custom house will make anything you might want.