1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snate, Oct 30, 2002.

1. snate

snate Junior Member

I have a 2002 dodge 1500 quad, I purchased a used 8' western uni complete with everything off a ford 88 3/4 ton. They do not make a unimount but an ultra mount. Problem is after the ultra and the adapters and wiring harness<I dont understand why you cant keep the same harness as the ford, it doest plug into the computer, isnt it just posotive from the battery>Its going to cost me 2000 just to put it on! Cant it just be welded and if so does anyone know any specs, how high or deep, or how far out the front buper etc. Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

snate, if I'm reading the Western chart right, that 8' plow is going to be way too heavy for your 1500. In your profile, you list a 3/4 ton Chevy. Why don't you mount your plow on that?

I know that wasn't what you asked. I wouldn't recommend welding a plow frame on your truck. Not only will it void your warranty, there would be no "give" or flex to absorb the shock of plowing. Result - bent frame (plow if not truck).

3. snate

snate Junior Member

Thanks, thats what the welding shop said. Theyre going to swap it for a 7.5 poly. I do however think they are going to weld something on the frame to mount it.
    As far as warranty, the dealer promised me a plow would not void it, but everyones telling me different. Just have to pray nothing goes wrong with the truck. Its my fist Dodge and it hasent been a good experience so far.
    As for my other truck it has an old fisher with a back scraper welded on, problem is I need two plow trucks<got 166driveways>
    Thanks anyways, hopefully the shop will figure something out.

4. Nebraska

Nebraska Member
    from Midwest

why not find a used uni-mount? They're all over the place around here. Call other western dealers and I bet they still have new unimounts they could sell you. email me, I have a source that would be probably be willing to ship you a used unimount mount for the Dodge.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The brackets that mount to the truck frame are new this year for the 1500. We just had a Western put on our 2002 Dodge 2500, and it uses the old style vehicle mount. No way around getting the proper brackets. Welding is not an option IMO :nono:

Also, look in your owners manual, and see if it says NOT to install a plow. If it is meant to have a plow, it will have guidelines and ballast suggestions in the manual.

~Chuck

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a thought. When that dealer said a plow wouldn't void your warranty - was that before or after you'd signed for it?

7. snate

snate Junior Member

Unfortunately it was afterwards.
    I talked to the welding shop that has my vehicle and he is making a custom made mount for 400 bucks, he is going to install it for 300. A lot cheaper that 1200 just for the ultra mount without the adapter.

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SNATE....Try and hook up with Rob aka 75v.....Welding
    & fabbing stuff is right up his alley ! I wonder how
    far Orilla (spl) is from Toronto ? Drop him a email
    maybe he can help ya out........................geo

9. snate

snate Junior Member

Thanks, Orillia is only about 45 min from Toronto.
    I already found a welding shop thats going to take a look at it, if he can't do anything I'll give your guy a ring.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SNATE.....ROB aka 75v...........Is a mod here....He says
    hes been real buzy as I haven't seen him post much
    lately.He couldn't make the BBQ this year either !