1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting V-box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cutntrim, Sep 24, 2003.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

My new '04 GMC 2500HD is in. Putting a 8' AirFlo V-box in it. Never run a V-box before, should I go with the standard installation method of using just the tie-downs, or should I bolt it through the floor of the bed, raised up on 2-bys?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would bolt it down.I've seen way to many that were just tied down come loose.With a full load back there,I want it secure.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

In a pickup body, I'd bolt it down too. I don't feel the quarter panels are strong enough to strap to, you'll probably do damage to the bed.

With a dump body, straps are OK, I used to run my V box that way, and had D rings welded to the floor for pull points.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I pin them in using pins instead of bolts which will rust. This keeps them from sliding any. The straps on the corners really hold them down and give them stability. I think being safe is the best option.
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would recommend bolting it in as well, and using the wood that the spreader was shipped with to bolt it down with a wider stance.

Additionally, I recall a thread here about a V box that crushed a bed, because the wood was not lined up over the bed floor supports under the bed.

Before you bolt it in and load it up, take a look under the truck to be sure the wood will be sitting over crossmembers.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Actually, the wood should be in line with the frame rails in this application.
  7. cutntrim

I think all of you are right, but I was just going by what the dealer told me. He says he's been installing them for 5yrs and hasn't had anyone complain of the spreader coming loose as long as the straps are kept tight. But I think I'll be the first customer of his to request that it be installed by bolting through to the frame underneath.

I picked up the new truck today and it had a factory installed plastic under-rail bedliner in it. No charge...but I didn't want one. I plan on having a Rhino liner sprayed in. Anybody want a bedliner cheap? Guess I could leave it in during summer months and take it out each winter.

Would 2x4's or 2x6's be better for bolting down the salter? I haven't seen a crated one so I don't know about the wood that comes with it.
  8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

cutntrim - I would go with Rhino Linings. There are alot benefits about them than slide in bed liner. With them sprayed on, you will never have to worry about the bed rotting out like when the water would get trapped between the slide in plastic liner & truck. Also the surface of Rhino Linings are anti-skid. Alot of times I would put a load in the box, drive around, and it is still exactly where it was. The surface is kind of smooth, but not so slippery. Lastly, the appearance of them is outstanding! I have them sprayed on my Chevy 2500HD and I love it!

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mine are full dimension 2x4s. I don't bolt mine down, just use straps on each corner. The 2x4s are cut to 17" on each side of the bottom of the box. As far as the straps coming loose, I've had that happen, just not more than one at a time. If both front straps came loose at the same time, you could have a problem. As I'd posted in the past, I lost my Vbox from it getting off center. Now, if it had some material in it to offset the weight of the engine, you wouldn't have that problem. Especially if it is in a bed or dump. It couldn't slide sideways like mine could being on a flatbed. I would agree, though, that you might have a problem finding a strong point to attach the strap on a pickup bed. I've thought about drilling holes in my flatbed to bolt the sander down. Just haven't done it.

Just a thought, but I think if I were you, I would run a couple of 3" straps or chain & chain binders over the top of the sander and hook to the frame on each side.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  10. cutntrim

Mick- How do you mean "hook to the frame"? Of the truck?
  11. Mick

from Maine

Yes, from one side of the truck over the Vbox to the other side. You could use two straps for insurance in case one did come loose. I just realized I'd said 3" straps. Actually, they're 2". I've attached a picture to illustrate. I hook just ahead of the wheel wells. For those who don't realize - resist the temptation of hooking to the wheel wells or other part of the side of the bed. You'll pull the sides out.

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mick, have you opened a hole in the bed floor then to pass through to the sander?
  13. Mick

from Maine

No, just up the sides of the bed. Keep in mind I'm not talking about cranking it down, just snug enough so the strap doesn't come loose and to provide stability to the sander to prevent it from sliding or tipping backyards. I guess you could put holes in the bed floor and run it through there if you wanted.

I came up with this originally as an idea for cutntrim. He wanted a way to hold his sander. I think he's not really wanting to drill holes in his new truck for bolts and I wouldn't either. The idea of those tie downs that come with sanders seem kind of flimsy for a pickup that doesn't have a good solid place to attach them. Heck, my flatbed has real solid horizontal steel plates to hook to and I've had a couple come loose. This just seems like a good insurance policy for those tie downs.

I need to admit I've never tried it (for the sander. I do use it when I haul other stuff). My pickup is a 1/2 ton. The empty sander is enough to lift the front end nearly off the ground. But I do think I'm use the idea on the flatbed this winter. Like I said those tie downs can come loose. I've already had the sander slide off due to my own fault. Really not wanting to do that again.:realmad:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2003