1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting V box Spreader to truck frame

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by merrimacmill, Jul 20, 2011.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

So I am looking at getting a 3 yard henderson gas V box for my dump truck. I was noticing today that my dump box and hoist is held on with 4 large bolts, and 2 main wires both with plugs. Suddenly the idea of taking off the 1472 pound dump body, and mounting the V box straight to the frame of the truck seemed like a much more reasonable idea than I had initially thought. Of course my motive behind this is both adding weight capacity to the truck by reducing its overall weight and preserving the useful life of the dump body by not exposing it to winter conditions.

So my concerns about this are: 1. How do I mount it to the truck?
    2. What can I do to prevent the salt that spills through and in front of the conveyer chain from getting onto truck components (such as gas tanks)?

Essentially my thoughts are to fabricate a frame that fits onto and fully supports the entire bottom of the salter. The bottom side of this frame would be spaced and fit to the trucks frame and would have the same bolt locations as the dump body does. The bottom side would almost be a copy of the dump body's frame and mounting system. Am I on the right track with this?

I've never mounted or even removed a truck body, so I thought I should put in my proper research here first.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I did it last year with a 1.8 yd airflo on a 1 ton dually, and again this year with a 5yd smith on an F550. The airflo was narrower than the chassis cab's frame, so we built a sub-frame that incorporated fenders, and put a sheet of ABS between the frame and spreader. At the front of the spreader, I built a chute out of ABS to direct the salt spilled at the front of the v-box away from the exhaust, driveshaft, brake lines and fuel lines. The F550 was easier, as it was built with the bottom of the spreader wider than the chassis, so it was a simple bolt on deal. This truck I put a 1/16" sheet of stainless between the spreader and frame, and did the same type of chute idea at the front of the spreader. The fenders are Minimizer poly fenders.

You can see pics of the air-flo set-up in my for sale thread.

And here's a better pic of the sub-frame right after paint, before it was mounted on the truck. There's 6 bolts (3 per side) through the 1/4" angle on the sides that go through the top of the chassis cab frame. The 3 main supports are c-channel with top-lock nuts welded underneath, and the bolts go through the pre-drilled holes in the spreader to the cross-members. The angle on the front is an additional stop versus relying only on the bolts between the spreader and sub-frame.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the F550, I'll try to grab one of the chute at the front tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

I have to give credit where it's due though, JD Dave led me down the right path with the first setup I did on the 1-ton. Thumbs Up Too bad I outgrew it already... :rolleyes:

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Very nice work wizardsr. Great ideas for my next setup.

4. merrimacmill

from MA

Thanks for the input, this really helps and answers a lot of my questions.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Looks great. What size of a salter did you mount on that 550?

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Collin - you need a subframe or a frame mount kit to put underneath of the salt spreader, as pointed out above. That is getting you going in the right direction for sure. Might want to check with local dealer and price out a frame mount kit for the size/type of spreader your using, just for comparative purposes and cost wise. Good luck!

7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Awesome job! I like that!

8. merrimacmill

from MA

I will do that, I was never even aware that manufactures made subframes for the smaller salters. Thanks for the input

9. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

That F550 is a nice setup. We have a couple cab overs with 2.5 yd super p frame mount sanders. They also have blizzard 810's on them. They are so nice to plow with. The subframes we have are no where near as nice as they ones you have. But they do the job.

10. merrimacmill

from MA

Could you post pictures of these cabovers? I was just thinking about how great a cab over would be for maneuverability in the smaller, intricate lots.

11. wizardsr

Thanks guys, I really like the 550 so far, looking forward to playing with it this winter. I put a Blizzard mount on it, but don't intend on plowing with it unless I need to due to a breakdown, etc. The spreader is a 10' smith medium duty stainless dual electric. The chute/spinner isn't on the spreader in the pic, it's tucked away in storage. It has a capacity of 4 yards stuck/5 yards heaped, it's a perfect fit for the truck. I won the truck on ebay last February and flew down to Texas and drove it back. It's an 03 with 50k on it, showroom condition, not a speck of rust, used to have a flatbed on it that I removed and sold. Still working on the lights, wiring, grille guard, etc, I'll post up some pics when I'm done getting it just how I want it. ;)

I considered an international lopro or a cabover type setup, but I have 4 other Ford superduties, so I went with what I know, what my employees are familiar with, etc. Thanks for the comments on the sub-frame; if you want it, you can have it FREE with the purchase of my airflo spreader. Thumbs Up

12. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Ill send you a pic of one when I get to the shop.

13. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Looks very professional Wizard.

14. JohnnyRoyale

Thanks Wizard...that truck was a nice find. 7.3? And what did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking. How would you compare the electric and auger systems vs a gas or hydro unit with conveyor?

15. wizardsr

V10. Stole the truck for $9k. Thumbs Up

No comparison of the electric vs gas. After running the all electric airflo and buzz box spreaders, I'll never go back to gas. Both this spreader and the airflo have drag chains, which seems to be less susceptible to jamming with chunky salt than the auger setup on my buzz box. The controls for the smith spreader are stupidly simple, very little to go wrong.

16. JohnnyRoyale

Thanks for your reply.. I thought it was auger driven, A friend of mines Smith Spreader is auger driven and for some reason I thought they all were.

17. wizardsr

Not sure about the smaller ones, but the Smith medium duty spreaders are all drag chain. Having used both, I prefer the drag chain as it doesn't jam as easily if you get a chunky load. The augers work great with bagged, treated, or clean bulk though!

18. wizardsr

Pics of the front chute as promised.

Drivers side
    [​IMG]

Passenger side
    [​IMG]

From above, you can see anything coming off the front or dragged underneath falls into the chute.
    [​IMG]

Under-side. I used abs, but someone handy with a bender could make one out of stainless as well. To make things easier, I made it in 3 pieces and bolted it together with stainless hardware.
    [​IMG]

19. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Are these pics of the salter on the F550 or pics of the for sale salter? Thanks.

20. wizardsr

These are of the new Smith spreader on the F550, not the air-flo that is for sale. If you need more pics of the airflo, feel free to ask. :waving: