1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting urethane edge on Fisher plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Jun 13, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I have done some extensive searching and learned some about U-edge but still have some questions.

I am going to purchase a Fisher MM2 8.5' V plow this summer. I would like to put U-edge on it afterward. It is my understanding that Fisher recommend breaking in the trip edge for a season or two to wear off some steel on edge before mounting a bolt on steel cutting edge. How does this apply to U-edge? Do you still try to wear some steel off before mounting U-edge, or just simple slap it on and then plow? I am not sure, but I think that Fisher trip edge are around 6" high, so I would think that those who just simple slap U-edge on would use 8" high U-edge? Another issue about doing that would be that it would cause the A frame to be higher, upward, so that mean it would be easier for the plow to ride over hardpack. In search, I read that a few guys had the A-frame raised up another hole or two. I never heard of somthing like that. Can someone confirm on that because I never seen something like that, or that I know of.

What should I do about mounting U-edge setup, and how? Any input will be appreicated. Thanks. :)

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Now i know what you are talking about. On the plow mount especially on the older blades (conventional style) there were a series of holds on the ends of the frame in which the mounting pins could be inserted. And some guys would mount in a different hole to adjust to the increased blade height.

Check out this file from the fisher website. note the three holes in the first frame at the ends of the A frame. http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/26092_032701.pdf

Jay

Last edited: Jun 13, 2003
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You can bolt a u edge right onto the fisher base angle, problem is that you will only be able to use about 1" of it before the base angle starts to contact the plowing surface. The base angle on the fisher angles forward so that even tho you have an extra inch in width on the cutting edge, you only gain about a 1/2" in height. The same is true on the steel edges, with a 6" edge you can only use about 1.5-2" of it before replacement. The other isue is that you really dont want alot of edge hanging up over the top of the base angle, so wider than 8" isnt really recomended.
    I advise my customers to wear the 1.5-2" off the base angle first, and then buy a urethane. If you were only plowing your personal driveway, then an 8" would work fine.
    I believe even on the MM plows there are three adjustment holes for the a frame, as the base angles wears, you can move the a frame up into the middle and then the bottom hole.
    Dino

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Snowplowjay - that's exactly what I am talking about. Thanks for the link to diagram of that A frame. That definitely helped me understand how those A frame could be adjusted. It looks like they are still using those A frames on MM2 if I am not mistaken. Because that is what it looks like in the diagram.

Dino - are you suggesting me to wear down 1.5"-2" of Fisher base edge then mount 6" or 8" wide u-edge? It would take quite alot of hours plowing to wear down that much steel before I would be able to mount u-edge. Around how long would it usually take to wear off that much steel?

Thanks!

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

An average season would wear that edge down 1.5-2". You also have to remember this, the wider you make that base angle, the more leverage that is applied to it. This is more important on the v plows from fisher, as that extra leverage will bend those box plates alot quicker. Meaning it will trip alot easier, and exert more force on the pivot points. Once the edge is owrn in, mount an 8" urethane edge, and you will get 2 wear surfaces from it. If it was me, I would get a western MVP, and mount the u edge from the get go.
    Dino