1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting Unimount on Skid Loader

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MLG, Nov 9, 2015.

1. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Guys,
    I was thinking about possibly mounting my 8.2 MVP V-plow onto a skid loader (Case 1845C) for occasional use around the buildings. My thought was to take a universal attachment plate and weld attachment eyelets that match up to the Unimount pins. I really don't think I need down-pressure on the plow, I prefer to preserve the Unimount system for mounting the plow on the truck when needed. I have another plow truck, but the thought on this project mainly is to use the V part of the plow to bust open big drifts (which we sometimes get at the shop) to make the snow easier to plow away with trucks. My particular Unimount plow does not require an isolation module (its relay style). I would need to adapt plow wiring to the controller and power. Am I overlooking anything? Is this a bad idea? Possible to bust up Unimount hardware with a skid?

On the flip side, I have the opportunity to buy a 'fixed V' plow 6' for a few hundred bucks with a skid loader plate already attached, which I am thinking of getting rather than fabbing up mounts. It's ready to go. But the ability to scoop and turn with the MVP would be nice. Since the skid doesn't have a cab or heat, I really only need to use the skid for the large and blown in drifts, but with a V, I think I can bust up the snow (better than the truck) and move the chunks away with the trucks and save a bunch of time in a cold seat.

Please share any experiences or thoughts you might have.. thanks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Not sure what you mean about "a vixed V plow 6'" Do you mean a straight blade?

Regarding the MVP.... That would be a very easy electrical job if you have the relay light switching system. The bonus is that you can take all the relays and throw them away, the control circuit is not tied into the light like the isolation module system. If you want the plow lights to work just connect them in parallel with the skid loader lights so they work together.

Basically all you need to do to make this work electrically is install the motor relay and switched power cable to the battery, connect the ignition wire to the the skid loader ignition, then install the controller cable and run the two plugs out to the front of the unit so they are long enough to connect to the plow. Done! Of course you have to weld up your universal plate to fit the uni coupler.

Something you should consider though is the stress on the plow when you skid sideways while plowing. The plow, the a-frame, the loader arms all add up to push the plow way out in front of the wheels. On a normal truck the plow is not so far away from the steering wheels. They don't push with the same geometry while turning as you push snow.

One more thing to understand is that on a truck the V blade is always going to touch the ground with the same angle & elevation so the A-frame will be parallel to the ground. On the skid loader it all depends on how far you drop the boom. If you drop too far or too little the A-frame will not be parallel with the ground and the cutting edges will wear unevenly. They will wear on the outside and inside edges faster than in the center.