1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting to a backrack

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by builtupbowtie, Oct 19, 2010.

1. builtupbowtie

builtupbowtie Junior Member
    from Oh

Hey guys I'm pretty new to this but I plan to order the sound off pinnacle and mount it to a back rack. when I order the light bar do I need the permeant mount or do I need to order the mount separately from back rack?

2. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Depends on the bar which would help to know. I have a steel plate on top of mine that I mounted my edge to.

3. builtupbowtie

from Oh

The light bar will be the sound off pinnacle

4. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

you will want the permanent mount lightbar, and you will need the utility light bracket (part number 91002REC) I think that is what you were asking?

5. builtupbowtie

from Oh

Yes sir. Thank you I just wasn't sure which mount I would
    Need because I don't have the bar or back rack yet. I'm ordering everything as a
    Package.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ive found making my own brackets for things is a whole lot cheaper then paying for them from backrack.

7. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

^^^ Yep my pice of plate steel I mounted my edge to was free had is laying around.

8. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

I would strongly suggest not using the backrack bracket if you have any low clearance areas as they extend a couple inches above the cab. what everyone around me is now doing is using a 1/2" thick piece of UHMW plastic (strong, no rust) and bolting that to the rack and the light to the plastic. works like a charm. Good Luck!

9. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Yeah, screw buying the optional plate...crappy mount anyway...save money and make your own..All you need is some flat stock steel. Drill recessed holes and mount directly to the backrack. Gives more clearance. My opinion on the light is to get a perm. mount. A magnetic mount is too easy for a thief to take. good luck

10. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Do you have pics of this? I went to the hardware store and used L brackets they had there and painted them black. Seems to be working fine. 50 bucks for the backrack mount is rediculous.

11. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

No pics handy, i will try and snap some when im around home this weekend.