1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting the plow.....sounds painful

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by dingo151, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Hey everybody,

I'm to the point that I need to start building a plow mount for my wrangler. My question is that Western recomends having the plow mounting ears no more than 10" off the ground. With a six inch lift I'm going to have long piece of iron hanging down. So I'm wondering what the downside would be of having the mounting tabs further off the ground?

Ideas? Opinons?

Thanks
    Dean

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

It will change the attack angle of the cutting edge making your plow less effective. You want your a frame to be level not nose diving. You will be happier and so will your plow!!!:drinkup: (if your plow nose dives, it will tend to trip much easier)

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

take it off for the summer .. put it on in the winterxysport

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Also if the mounting ears are to high, when you angle the plow to the left the right end will dip ferther lifting the left side off the ground. That will wear out your cutting edge a lot faster.

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Dingo,
    What are your fabrication skills and what equipment do you have to work with. If you do have equipment (not a 110v welder either) then modifying the A-frame might be your best bet. You might want to weld longer tabs on the A-Frame and make sure they are strong because that does the "pushing".
    Thanks.
    T.J.

6. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

I'm fully equipped to do some fab work. Do you have any pictures of what you're talking about?

Thanks
    Dean

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

No. Do you have any pics of what you are trying to do. i.e. pic of the plow frame etc.
    T.J.
    see my other post on old school diamond conversion.