1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting the mounts on my jeep.. a bolt head cracked off, skip a mounting bolt?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippoz, Aug 12, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz Member

well here is the situation im in.

i bought the new 1990 jeep, and took the plow and mounts off of the 87 jeep (bolth jeep laredo btw)

there are 4 points where the mount gets bolted on to the frame, one way back, 2 above and below eachother on an nextended part of the frame, and one in the middle.

when i asa taking off the middle mount bolts, from the bumper which they origonally held on, they cracked, both drivers side and passenger side..

what im wondering is a, how can i get them out... and B since it looks like i cant get them out, can i just use the other 3 holes, and skip the middle one?

i know that it would hold the plow on fine, but im not sure how much pressure resistance and integrity i wuld be loosing in the processs. i suppose that i could tac weld on one or 2 spots to make up for the loss in strength, and still be able to angle grind off the mounts if i need to.....

In all honesty i dont think that im going to get those bolts out. they go through the frame thrugh a nut that is welded to the frame, and the end of the bolt is not even cloes to acessable with any sort of tools, so cutting a ridge and torquing it out is not an option.... i suppose i could drill it out, but i dont have the bits for that, and i dont know anyone that does...

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Do yourself a big favor and get a bolt extractor kit. Sears sells an entire kit for this sort of thing. As a last resort, if you don't think you can get them yourself, bring to an installer and let them deal with it.

Pics would help the board get you an answer.

I would DEFINITLY would not use only three bolts. :nono: Those bolts transfer the force of the plowing process to the frame. There's four for a reason and with only three you're essentially increasing the amount of pressure being transferred to the other bolts, risking breaking them as well.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If the plow would work properly with only 3 bolts the manufacturer wouldn't have spent the money to drill the 4th. Use plenty of WD40 and let it soak, use bolt extractors, if need be heat the frame around the bolt (not the bolt) with a torch to expand it and allow easier bolt removal. Heating the bolt will negate the expansion.

oh, and be careful.
  4. zippoz

zippoz Member

thanks, ill go to sears, and call up my budy who is a mech in town

i didnt think that 3 would work. or be safe, but i had to ask....
    ill try and post pics if i cant gget it out.
  5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Jeep plow mounting

I have a YJ jeep. There are special bolts that hold plow to frame. This is on a meyer plow. If you ask meyer they will send you mounting info for your plow so you can see how it works.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Some of that stuff you just are not going to get off without a FlameWrench (Torch). I have air tools and a 3 foot breaker bar and old bolts laugh at me and my efforts to remove them!
    Like SkyKing said Meyer etc has some special bolts for certain places an the frame that you can't get a wrench in. It's not a good idea to reuse the bolts anyway. They should all be grade 8 fasteners. You can buy grade 8's at industrial supply places ( Fastenal,Bolts & Nuts INC,etc). I am sure around your area or into the big City there are many. Measure the diameter and lenght of the old ones and walk in and order them, they go and find them, your in business! Plows work hard and have much stress/ leverage's involved.
    *(my evil cousin)
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2005