1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by QuadRacer041, Jul 29, 2004.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

can you mount a pick up truck style tailgate spreader on the tailgate of a mason dump truck?
    something like the western model 1000 or 2000?
    dont really have enough big parking lots to warrent buying a big in body style salter and dont want to install it on my pick up because i need to be able to get a snow blower on and off.
    my dump has a ball and pintal and not a class 3 trailer reciever.
    can it be done and is it worth it?

2. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

look at a Western 2 stage unit with the in-bed mount. A little pricier, but should work with your set-up.

3. QuadRacer041

like i said i really dont want to go that route!

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Sure you can.
    Most all spreaders can be made to mount off the gate.
    And you don't have to worry about the weight factor with the way the gates are constructed.
    You can make an angled section to go over and acrossed the top of the gate to hang the unit on and then make retaining tabs on the bottom to keep it locked down.

:rolleyes: John...........................

5. QuadRacer041

would i have to do any custimizing or are all the peices in need be included?
    im pretty handy so im sure ill be able to fabricate something but its just easier if everything is included.

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

You may be able to use some of the mounting hardware that comes with the spreader you buy, if you get a tailgate mount kit with it.
    If not you shouldn't have too much trouble making one up.
    :rolleyes: John...............................

7. QuadRacer041

just spoke to a local shop they said ABOUT $2300 installed for a pro flo2
    how does that sound?
    he was trying to talk me out of a low profile 2000 which is about $1650 installed.

8. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

if you are going to spread only salt the 2000 is fine. If you will be spreading sand or a salt sand mix, the proflo 2 is the way to go.