1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting Studs Broken on Fisher Intensifier Lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nhasenfus69, Nov 11, 2012.

1. nhasenfus69

nhasenfus69 Junior Member
    from 02762

So my plow lights broke (had replacement Meyers lights hard wired on my Fisher 8ft HD plow) and I just got a pair of Fisher Intensifier lights from a friend, that work great but three of the four mounting studs are broken. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount these? I was thinking of maybe grinding down the broken studs and drilling a hole in the middle to mount them with.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Those are big lights, I think you will want two studs or bolts to keep them steady

3. nhasenfus69

from 02762

I think it would be ideal to have two studs, I was just looking for some ideas on how to mount them.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Haven't looked at one up close in a couple years. Have a pic?

5. nhasenfus69

from 02762

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does the bottom look like the old western lights? Metal plate and a bulge underneath?

7. nhasenfus69

from 02762

No the bottom is flat

8. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u should be able to drill the rivets out and ppput new studs or carridge bolts in and put it back together with samll bolts

9. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Morrissey....! How come you didn't tell me they break studs??? I hadn't heard about that yet... Just the backs falling off and to get the ones with three screws.. Anything that can be done to prevent broken lights??

10. Morrissey snow removal

i have never seen them break before

11. Morrissey snow removal

they have to get realy roted and u still can always get them off with heat with out breaking them

12. nhasenfus69

from 02762

I'm not sure how they broke but I got them this way. Thank you for the good ideas though

13. Morrissey snow removal

there are 6 rivets drill them out pput new studs and small bolts to hold it together and u will be fine

1112120812.jpg

14. dieselss

Agreed. Use ss hardware when reinstalling

15. nhasenfus69

from 02762

Thanks guys

16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Am I missing something here? I have a set of original DD by Grote lights. When I went to drill out the rivets, 3 of the 6 rivets would not fall out/down. It appears that the headlight reflector 'bucket' is blocking them, but even if they did come down I don't think there is a way to get bolts back in there to reassemble because of that bucket too. It doesn't appear that is removable - is it? I didn't feel comfortable putting it back together as it would only be supported on one side and felt it was asking for a cracked base at the worst time.

Thanks!

17. dieselss

Post up a pic

18. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

These are the newer style with 3 screws on the back, BTW.

I can't take a pic until this evening, so hopefully I can explain with this pic I hijacked off the HID thread (flipped so mounting plate is on top) combined with Morrissey's pic above.

[​IMG]

The red arrow shows the huge reflector for the headlight. The blue lines are an approximation of where 2 of the 3 rivets are that I ground the head off but the remainder of the pin is still in there and I couldn't get it out with a nail set and a hammer (didn't really pound it for fear of breaking the plastic). But, even if I get them out, I can't see or feel access to those holes to get a new bolt into anyway (the reflector takes up that whole space). That would leave that half of the light without attachment between the base mounting bracket and the rest of the assembly which can't be right. :realmad:

Based on the notes I saw on the CPW site, it says:
    Lens is adhesive bonded to the reflector and the reflector is adhesive bonded to the housing, sealing out water that could potentially freeze and damage the assembly.

So I'm at a loss of how you guys were able to replace all 6 rivets with bolts :cry:

19. EJLandscaping

EJLandscaping Junior Member

I am in the same boat. Kept refreshing last night in hopes to find an answer but there wasn't any response to your question. I drilled the rivets out, sandblasted and painted the old hardware and replaced the broken studs with SS carriage bolts. Now that I am ready to put it back together I realized:

1. There is no room for nits and bolts due to the fact that the light inside the housing is right up against the bottom where the nut would go. Even if I were lucky enough to get a nut on there would be no way to tighten it.

2. There aren't any stores that carry rivets 3/4" long in order to re-rivet it back together.

I bought the plow used from a reputable guy on this site. I wish I would have never touched the lights. When I saw this thread I went forward with taking them off because the bolts were so rusted that the threads were gone. Man, I am pissed. I have a funny feeling I will have to buy new lights now. I bet there $1000 to replace.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
    thanks in advance

20. EJLandscaping

EJLandscaping Junior Member

Pic incoming

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013