1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting Strobes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kevinrum, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Kevinrum

Kevinrum Junior Member

2004 F250,
    I am looking at Whelen CSP690 with hide-a-way at each corner

Where is everyone mounting there power supply??

f250.jpg

2. thannigan

thannigan Member

Kevin- My dads town issued fire car has a whelen strobe package, part of it includes hide a flash, his radio supply is under the back seat, and I'm pretty sure that the strobe one is under the hood somewhere.
    TIM
    try contactin whelen at whelen.com

3. sodking

sodking Member

We had stobe packages installed in our trucks and.....the police were nice enough to fine us for flashing red in teh back. Apparently, the strobes installed in the back, in the brake light area, are improper. Red flashers are reserved for fire apparatus. We had to move the strobe to the backup lights.

4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

better check into your your laws.even the white maybe illegal due to the fact of to bright.the yellow blinkers is what you should be using they will consider that amber and thats what you should be using.

5. DERANGER

DERANGER Junior Member

I PUT MY STROBES IN THE HEADLIGHTS AND THE BACK UP LIGHTS.CLEAR ALL THE WAY AROUND.AS FOR THE POWERSUPPLY I PUT IT UNDER THE DRIVERS SEAT.

6. thannigan

thannigan Member

I know that in CT you must have a blue light permit, if you're a volunteer firefighter and want to have strobes. But if you are plowing you DO NOT NEED A PERMIT FOR a yellow light. Most would assume that , that law would be the same for hide a flash. I think that your cops were just anal about something and were looking to ticket someone.
    TIM

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Kevin, don't know if you recall or not, I have have the same truck, I put strobes in the headlights, parking lights, and in the red portion of tail light. I will post a picture of them later today for you as well as my switch location. Maybe this can help you out a little.

Frank

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

technically you are supposed to have a permit for snowplowing amber lights in CT. i have a flashing strobe permit, and you just have to have the local fire chief, or a certain official in each town sign your permit. most people dont bother getting one, cause nobody really hassles you providing you are using only amber. the permit is like $7 a year.

9. thannigan

thannigan Member

Then when I plow I'll just bring the permit to my dad's office
    TIM:D

10. Kevinrum

Kevinrum Junior Member

Pics Please

Eyesell, Dont know if i missed them or not..Can you post the pics of your switch location:waving:

11. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Strobes

Hi I have i 1996 F250 with 12 head strobe system with a 6 switch pannel all whelen. My power box is mounted behind my seat on the little sill type thing and it fits just right. If you are planning on doing a lot of plowing i would defentaly recromed one of these systems and they are easy to install!
    Good Luck!:) :)

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

YOU ONLY NEED A PERMIT IF USING THE FLASHING OR STROBE IGHTS ON PUBLIC ROADS. IF YOU ARE PLOWING PRIVATE LOTS, AND YOU TURN THE AMBER LIGHTS OFF WHEN YOU DRIVE OVER THE ROAD, YOU CAN USE ANY COLO YOU LIKE
    Dino

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Re: Pics Please

Kevin, Sorry about the delay, I will take the pictures tonight and post them tomorrow as well as e-mail them to you along with a few others.

Sorry

Frank

14. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

In the cab on the rear wall, easy to get the wires into the cab, easy to work on, out of the weather.

I have hide aways in the rear tails, and a full Whelen 48" 10 strobe on the roof allow with a arrow stick on the back rack. They still walk in front of the truck, between the plow and the grill, behind the salt spreader when it is running you name it.

Seems to be a litte better in my dunp truck but as for pick up trcks they just act like you are not even there. SO that is how I act when they start yelling at the pile of snow and spitting salt comes there way.

15. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ok guys, I have a 95 F150 with clear strobes in the headlight assembly. The owner before me put them there and the right front is not working, it is getting current. It's probably burnt out. My question is, how do you get the headlight assembly apart? It appears that the wire is just stuck in the bottom of the assembly. I looked for a 1' hole but there is none. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks