1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting Spot Lights for Snow Plowing - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by SnowSon, Aug 30, 2010.

1. SnowSon

SnowSon Junior Member

I have a BackRack with a strobe light mounted in the middle and two smaller strobes mounted under the left and right bars beneath the Strobe bar. I am interested in mounting lights to make it easier to see in dark areas (driveways, docks, alleys, etc.) while plowing. I am looking for some advice and have a couple of questions:

1. I have seen some lights mounted backwards and some lights mounted forward. What do you all see as the advantages/disadvantages of both? What are the do's and dont's of mounting lights?

2. What brand/models do you recommend for the most light output?

3. I would like to wire these to my upfitter switches in my truck. Is this possible?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

I have lights pointed forward on my back-rack -but its mostly for show. I don't use them much. I have a couple hella dual-beam halogens under the bumper in the back. I found that if I mounted the lights on the back-rack I get a lot of glare off the tailgate when I'm looking out the back window. There's a bolt through the bottom of the rear bumper on each side. I took that out and bolted the light through in its place. No extra bracket needed.

What year is your truck?

Depending on the year Upfitter switches 1 & 2 are 30 AMP rated. Switch 3 is 10 AMP and Switch 4 is either 10 or 15 AMP depending on the year. There's a bundle of wires behind the fuse box. Check out:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  4. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

5. SnowSon

SnowSon Junior Member

This is great info. Thanks!

What are your thoughts about forward or backward lighting. Sno What's suggestion is a good one, although I don't know if I can make the lights mounted on the bumper look professionally installed and sharp. I know that functionality is key, but this truck is my "baby" and I want it to look good as well. Thoughts?
  6. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

those hellas are good bright lights, but kinda pricey on those sites, at work we sell the ovals for $44 and change and the square ones for $42 and change, i like the backup lights up high, they dont break off or get knocked around when you back into pile, and they stay cleaner, as for the lights mounted forward up high they work good after the storm but while it is snowing the light reflects back at you on the flakes in the air and you cant see crap, i put a couple of square twin beams up on my rack at the end of last winter only got to use them a little bit, i like it but i have a thing for lights, haha. I think if i could mount them on the plow frame it would work good to but with them up high i can aim them on the sides of the fender/plow to see right close to the truck

here is a link to the pics of my truck wont let me repost pics
  7. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Area lights are good and I've got some behind my truck for lighting behind me. But I also have one of those portable spotlights that you buy from wally world that I've got hardwired into a switch on my switchbox. Just slides under the seat when I'm not using it and during storms it sits right up next to me. I like it, aim it anywhere you need to and quite the distance on it too.