1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting & Removal

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ppkgmsy, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Newbie here, with only one season of plowing under my belt. I have an '87 Chevy, 5.7l, with an old 7.5 ft Fisher plow, that I use to plow my driveway, which can be a mess here in Vt. The mounting system is what I think of as conventional, there's two brackets on the bottom of the plow that are held in place by rods on the truck mount, and there's a chain that attaches the plow to the top of the lift piston.

Last winter I was able to get the plow on and off ok, but it takes some real effort to get everything aligned properly. I like to take the plow off when not in use to save wear on the truck. I've been looking through some parts catalogs and have found a couple devices apparently designed to move the plow around for easier alignment. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with these, or other ideas?

Thanks a lot.
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yup. I could mount those faster then the new plows. Use teh chain to take the weight of the plow.

Hook the chain first, then bring the lift cylinder up so that the ears of teh a-frame are close to the pins, you will find the plow will be pretty easy to maneuver into the pins.

Removal is the opposite, pull the pins first then lower the cylinder so that the a-frame drops onto a block of wood, then push teh triangle down and remove the chain.
  3. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I use a furniture dollie I got for cheap from someplace.

I think it was Big Lots. It works well, you can pull both pins, and drop the chain, and the frame of the plow is just low enough that you can wheel it around without hitting something.

Then you can move the plow wherever you need it to go, with one person.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you would really be amazed at how leverage is an effective tool... go get urself a 3 foot long crow bar ... or peace of solid pipe.... I use a 6 foot peace to "line up" my uni mounts.... so much easyier with little effort.. that chain idea sounds good too
  6. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help. I don't know if anything with coasters would work because when I remove the plow I have to place it on a piece of ground that slopes and is a patchwork of stone, grass, mud and in the winter, ice and snow. I am going to hook the plow on while the weather is good and try some of your ideas.

I'm going to post another question about sanding. Hope you can help me there too.
  7. Mustang1970

Mustang1970 Junior Member
    from Maine

when I was plowing for a construction company, I used a 2001 Freightliner FL80 with a 10'6" plow. I would hook up the chains and lift the blade just enough to be able to line it up. now with my 88 Ford with the 7'6" Fisher, I haven't taken the blade off since I just use it on my drive although if I do remove the blade then I'd use the chain to put it back on.

hydraulics are stronger then muscle in my opinion