1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jml300, Dec 2, 2009.

1. jml300

jml300 Junior Member
    from MN

New to plowing. Got a good deal on a western pro plow (7'). My first question is about mounting, I bought the plow and frame and all controls, the frame/mont is for a 87-96 dakota it mounts to the truck by removing bumper. I have a 2000 f-150, I would like to modify this to mount to frame under bumper (leaving bumper on truck). Any suggestions. Second question is where can I get instructions on how to hook up the wiring. It has the switch from truck lights to plow lights.

2. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Go to western's site and look in the publication library,they have diagrams of the mount.
    I found these fords are actually pretty easy to mod a mount onto.
    Just need to pull the bumper off to do your fab work and bolt the mount on,then bumper slides back on.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

:popcorn::whistling:

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

How handy are you with a torch and welder:confused:

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I just don't get some people......:rolleyes:

6. jml300

jml300 Junior Member
    from MN

Thanks for the lead to westerns publication library, I had looked at the site but missed that, the diagrams will be helpful.

I am fair with the torch and welder and my Dad is a retired welder and has a good machine.

What dont you get??

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Repoman thinks he's made of money, and can't comprehend that some people buy what they can afford and make do with it!

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

AbsoluteH&L

Could not agree with you more

I always said, were are here to help. Not to criticize!!

9. jml300

jml300 Junior Member
    from MN

Great comments, the responses I've recieved have been helpful. I am feeling more confident about putting this plow on my truck. When I am made of money I'll bye a new truck and plow, but for now me and the f150 will do our best to make a buck and have some fun. I'm 41 years old and always wanted a plow, as a kid I used to clear the sidewalk with a tonka truck with a board taped to the front.
    Thanks again and keep the comments coming, should be working on putting it on this weekend.

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

we don't want to criticize anyone. some things are better done right the first time. if you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

4 A.M. when all of the welds break and your phone is blowing up? when the frame of the truck fails because of the wrong mount? when the "mount" breaks and puts a hole in the oil pan and you don't realize it until the engine locks up?

not trying to put a damper on learning or saving $$$, but having seen the worst happen over and over and over, just a word of caution.

you can save money on some things in life, plow parts ain't one of them.

plows cost $$$.... plows make $$$...

11. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with no lead.

Using a mount frame that does not belong to a specific vehicle might create a problem. What I can say, if your a good welder or know a person in a welding shop and compare the mount (by a picture of a mount the belongs to your vehicle) that fits your vehicle to the one your going to modified, then your chances are greater.

But if you know how to weld, and you believe you "can" modified the mount frame, then your chancer are fair to good.

I myself brought a pro with the mount frame and wiring from a car dealer who said it would fit my truck (first truck). Come to find out the mount frame was not the frame for the year of my vehicle. I thought of doing what your going to do. Instead I went to a welding shop with my vehicle and the mount frame. For 200.00 (even though I didn't want to spend the money), I had the frame modified the right way.

I totally understand, money is tight. The way the economy is today, you would have to squeeze it out. But if the welder want to charge you 150.00 I would do it. U can make that money back on a couple of snow plows. Better to be safe then sorry, especially when your doing a job and break down 2am in the morning and can not finish your remaining customers.

12. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I agree with repoman! go to a wetern dealer with the old bracket and trade it in on a used one that is right for your truck. thats what i did when i bought my first plow years ago to trade them it probably wont cost much more and best of all it will be the correct mount!!!

13. jml300

jml300 Junior Member
    from MN

I will consider all you have said, but I am leaning towards doing the work myself. I am doing light plowing, driveways, no parking lots. My father is a very skilled welder has been doing it for most his life. I have diagrams of the recomended mount points from Ford for my truck.
    As I think about it though, if I make my mount so it connects where ford says, is also built the same as the one for the truck, and welded by someone who is skilled then it should work, and I save money.
    Thankyou for all the help, I have read a few threads on this site and am learning alot. It seems to be a good site, people want to help.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

We'll see how you feel about that after you try something like this and it ends up costing you more money then it would of to do the job right to begin with. :nod:

Besides, I think thats still considered helping isn't it? I know it's a stretch, but c'mon!

15. jml300

jml300 Junior Member
    from MN

Right or wrong! all parts start with fabrication.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sure they do, after thousands of hours of research by engineers, computers, & other product specific professionals, in this case two very product specific persons or teams; truck manufacture & plow manufacture.

See were as your idea only entails one thing...Slapping it together so it will affix to your truck frame. All the power to you if you can make it work without compromising other components in ways that you can't imagine in your narrow hast of tunnel vision. Alright, maybe the last statement was a bit over board, but you get the idea right.?.?

17. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If you can look at the correct mount, and modify yours so it matches the correct mount, then what is the harm? As long as you trust your (or your fathers) welds. You could try the western dealer, see if they have a used mount they could trade for yours. Then if the answer is no, proceed. I have a friend that set up his own mount on a dodge 2500 for a meyer. Looks stronger than my mount from the factory. (doesn't mean everyone can do it, but he does really nice work) Just don't skimp on the material, if you use thin steel it doesn't matter how good your welds are.

Regarding the criticism:
    It would be just as easy to say "don't change your own oil- When the oil filter comes off at 4 am and you don't notice until the engine seized, you'll wish you had your oil changed correctly by a mechanic"

When tackling any project, you have to understand your limits. Some people can't change their own oil. Some people can't do an engine swap, but can change their own oil. Some people can modifiy a plow mount. Realize your limits and go for it, it sounds to me like you have a decent handle on what you are doing, and you're researching before you start.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

There is something to be said about cheesy mounts as well. Would you prefer the mount to break before or after your frame is twisted and slammed into a pretzel?

19. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I'd prefer that neither the mount nor the frame twist like a pretzel. However, that has more to do with how the truck is used and cleaned than it does who fabricated the mount. One of the huge reasons that so much analysis has to be done on commercial plow mounts is that they produce thousands of them, and need to think about costs as well. A recall is very expensive. Doesn't mean that because someone doesn't do thousands of hours of research that their mount is cheesy.

I am also not saying that everyone should go out and fabricate their own mount. But I'd bet that most people haven't done the research or have the knowhow that jml300 has. Jury rigged plow mounts are bad news, but I don't think the majority of people with hillbilly setups come on here asking for advice, or even bother looking at another mount before beginning.

20. jml300

jml300 Junior Member
    from MN

Do you just assume everyone is incompetent excluding you.

I am using Ford's mounting recommedation, the frame I have is almost the same as the one for the truck, minor mods and it fits. This will work, because I know what I am doing. Came to this site to find out where to get diagrams and such found that, time to go to work!