1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting plow to CJ-7

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CJ-7_plowtruck, Dec 8, 2003.

1. CJ-7_plowtruck

CJ-7_plowtruck Junior Member

Hello all, i just bought an old plow and want to install it on my jeep CJ. i will be using a winch to raise it and i will manually angle it. it's just to do driveways around my area. i drive trucks for other people and decided to put a plow on my own. what i need to have is some ideas on making the mount for the jeep, any idea's, pictures or diagrams would be greatly appreciated, i have included a picture to show what i am trying to do. the plow is 7'4" and i plan on cutting it down to 6'6". i paid 300 bucks for the plow and already have the winch so i figuire for another 100 bucks in steel to make the mount and i have a cheap snowplow. the cutting edge is a monster that somebody has welded on, it won't need replacing for a while. thanks for any info you can give me

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  2. CJ-7_plowtruck

3. CJ-7_plowtruck

thanks to all who e-mailed me on ideas for my plow mount on the CJ-7. here is a picture of my rig, although i haven't had a chance to paint the plow yet. I believe it is a meyers plow but i am going to paint it zesty orange. click here for a pic

4. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Very nice setup. Looking to do someing like that on my old CJ5. How does the winch work for lifting it? Should be no problem as far as I can tell...

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

First off... great looking truck!!! And good work on the fabrication, but you may want to keep your eyes open for a pump, head gear, and hydraulics... it would make life much easier.

I just installed a Fisher on my '85 CJ-7, and it works great. I got the whole set-up (Jeep mounts, plow, hydraulics, head gear, complete rig) for $600 US. A Meyer set-up should be even less. And they're alot easier to come by than the Fishers.
    Anyway, good luck plowing. Here's a pix of my rig:

cj-7 plow 3.jpg

6. CJ-7_plowtruck

the winch does an awesome job of lifting the plow, but the one drawback is that it increases the weight on the front of the jeep. the winch is a warn 12000 so it is a little over kill for the plow and it weighs a ton. along with having to manually angle the plow. i am keeping my eyes open for a pump and cylinders but so far no luck. i don't want to spend too much money on it. but for now it is going to do the trick.

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

50 years ago, all plows were manual angle. Works fine, just slows you down a bit -- and makes you plan your passes a little more.

Good luck.

Jeff Pierce

8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

nice lookin jeeps:drinkup:

9. bluenite608

bluenite608 Member

HEY TVPIERCE, I HAVE A RAM 2500 WITH A BLIZZARD PLWO AND I AM LOOKING FOR A SET UP FOR THE KIDS JEEP A 86 CJ-7. THE SET UP THAT YOU PURCHASED AND THE PRICE IS JUST WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR. WAS IT ON EBAY OR DO YOU KNOW OF SOMEWHERE ELSE TO LOOK???????????

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I found mine in my local classified ad paper. They do exist on Ebay, but they’re few and far between. If you look, you might want to consider buying a complete rig (Jeep & plow) then transfer the plow gear to your current CJ – just a thought.
    Here’s a link that may help you out:
    http://www.wantaddigest.com/view/Searchadz.asp

It’s classified ads for Upstate NY. (I’m originally from the Adirondacks) There’s a listing in there for a plow setup from a Renegade. That's just what you need!

There are a couple of places up here in Maine that sell used plow equipment, but that’s a long haul from Long Island.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Jeff Pierce