1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting plow for 1/2 inch of snow ???????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MO TOYS, Jan 27, 2007.

1. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

has any one felt like an idiot for having to mont a plow for a half inch of snow lol?
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Nope cuz I never take them off....
  3. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

Not for putting on because it stays on all winter, but I have had to plow for an inch and I felt like an idiot being the only plow out.:dizzy:
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I dont hook-up the plow for anything less than an inch. (More like 2 inches) I just hook-up the spreader and throw salt and sand. The de-icer I use can effectively melt a little over an inch.:nod:
  5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I look at it this way: I'd rather mount the plow with 1/2" on the ground with no trouble than do it with 6" on the ground and struggle like hell.
  6. Northland

Northland Senior Member

My buddies at my full time job give my grief when I come to work after mounting the plow the prior night cuz the weather mokes said it was going to snow. Lo and behold, no snow... "Gonna go plow some snow???" I always get it... I just hafta be patient and explain its easier to mount it when its not snowing than when it is... blah blah blah... They never understand.
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I used to wait till the snow was flyin to put the plow on. But after a few times and inventing some new words:realmad: , I just put it on and leave it there for awhile, if snow is forecasted.
  8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Oh yeah, I get it all the time. From friends, co-workers, even family members! "What is there a storm coming?" or "You going to plow the farm?". Very funny, a-holes! :realmad:
  9. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

I used to wait for 2 inches on the ground before I would mount the plow. The couplers would stick:realmad: , a few bad words later I would be talking to myself saying why did I wait to do this. Now I put it on early and leave it on late. I'm happier this way. No sense adding any frustrations before I go out and deal with the public hassles.:dizzy:
  10. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If there is any snow in the forecast I will have my plow on,spreader on ,and a pallet in the back. I hate waiting till the last minute. I learned my lesson along time ago about going out to salt with out my plow. Got to the condos, about 1/2 in. or less except for three drives. The wind had some how blown 2' drifts infront of the garage doors. Never would have dreamed this to happen with this small amount of snow. I tried to shovel it but was going to take forever. I flew home, put the plow on and took care of it in about 10 minutes. I wasted a hour driving because of it. I would rather be ready than not. If I waited untill the last minute that would be the one time something decides not to work! If it doesn't snow take the plow off( about a minute of time) and unload the pallet. As far as having your plow on with no snow, I put mine on in the fall for about a week just make sure everything is working!.
  11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

my plow stays off till i see snow then i open the garage door roll the plow to the door drive the truck in hook the plow up then back out with it on now i am finished and ready to plow ;)
  12. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I always tell all of my clients that I'm around 6 hours before and after each storm--so that if they need anything after the storm has passed, I can come by with the plow.
    That's generally also how long the plow stays on the truck.

However if we're suppose to get two days of snow, with a free day in between--I'll probably still leave it on, b/c it's easier.

One of my commercial clients wants their parking lot done even if there is only an inch on the ground. So sometimes I do feel like a fool plowing away at basically nothing. :)
  13. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

There's a parking lot I take care of... and they want it scraped and sanded if it's even a dusting. If it gets icy out, I scrape and sand it then too. That's what they wanted. That's what they'll get.
  14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

all of my plows are ready and mounted in november and stay on till april. and if we did get 1/2" we would be out plowing and shoveling walks. most of our customers love it whenever we come scrape off 1/2" of snow because 1/2" of snow on a 5-7 acre lot is too much snow to track into a business.
  15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I keep the plow in the garage but I put it on if snow is even forecasted as a possibility. I want to just get in the truck and go. I hate having to get it hooked up while I'm getting ready to head out. Who cares what others say or think? They apparently don't care what you say or think. You're the one who has to take care of things, not them.
  16. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I put the plow on before the storm if it the forecast calls for more than a couple of inches. It's a lot easier to mount the plow before the storm than during it. The concern I have with border line storms is that someone might drive by, see the plow mounted, and expect me to clear their driveway even if there's only an inch or less but so far that hasn't been a problem.
  17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I got people that paid me to plow for 1/2 inch so I'm happy to put it onpayup
  18. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i have a small lot in front of my shop and if its not plowed(even for 1/2 inch) and some old lady slips on her ass im gonna have an insurance nightmare.:dizzy: Its easier to plow the dust.