1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting my first plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by monte_man_79, Dec 10, 2010.

1. monte_man_79

monte_man_79 Junior Member

Hi guys, looks like you have a wonderfull side here with lots of info and even more members.

I'm 27, a rancher and a first time plow buyer. I bought a 10 ft plow that with throw snow either side, right or left. excuse my vague descriptions... I'm mounting it on a 1993 International 4900 truck. it's a single rear axel truck with air brakes. the back has a feed mixer box on it that weighs about 12000 lbs empty. the guy that sold me the plow says that the plow is an older style mount that the thought might be a hastings style? it has two vertical C channels running vertical off of the frame, and in the center of the channel on each side is a slot about 2 feet long running up and down the beam. he tells me it's for 2 pins to slide up and down on that hold the plow in place. it looks like from the pictures that it's really going to interfere with my hood opening (tips forward).. he also tells me the plow weighs approx 12-1500 lbs.?

my main problem is this. he said he doesn't have the truck mount for this plow. I'm buying it sight unseen for $500. for $100 more he's putting in a newer style mount that only requires one pin. he said I will have to do some fabbing to make this work. I'm trying to harvest some information as to the best, safest, strongest way to mount this to the truck frame. I'm a Cat diesel mechanic by trade, so plumbing it in won't be an issue.

can anyone give me some direction as to the best mount style to use for this truck and the appropreite way to do it? (bolt on/ weld on?) any other tips to go along with plowing or setting it up?

below are some pictures of what should be here in my yard within a week. what you see there is all that I have seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't even know what brand this plow is.

I don't even know how large of a cylinder to buy to lift this plow. I'm an ignorante newbie here, so any info is good info. I'm going to get this thing mounted, but I just want to do it the right way the first time. It seems that info for mounting a real sized plow on a real truck and not a pickup is hard to find. Thank you!

2. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

What are you plowing with that????
    please dont tell me driveways.......

that plows gonna need some work!
    i say go to google look for a big municipal plow like the one u have... then look at the cylinder size..
    Otherwise you could always start out with a winch ;)

3. monte_man_79

well, we have a small feedlot here that has a lane (road) about 25 feet wide and 1/8 mile long. also we have large flat areas that need plowed off for parking eqipment, grinding hay and such. plus we have a 1 mile long driveway that needs some care. we use tractors and telehandlers for moving all our snow, but the do a bad job of cleaning large flat areas because they cant throw the snow one way. and for long distance runs, they're slow and dangerous to leave the bucket on the ground at high speeds on gravel roads .

I thought about using a winch, but my truck already has a hyd system on it for the feed box. all I have to do is add a valve and run the hoses... the challenge is mounting this beast!

4. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

if you are or know a good welder you can fabricate a mount of some 1/4 plate and chennel

they usaly run around 3 feet a long the fream bolt at the back with 5 bolt and bolt at the front were the tow hook bolt with 4 bolt on eche side

have fun with this beast this winter

5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Wait a minute, give me some more details, I think your missing some much needed components. From those pictures on the vertical frame where those slots are, is the blade welded solid to that or can the plow move up and down independantly from that part ? The reason I ask is it looks like it is welded solid, if that is the case those slots are where pins go in and the plow slides up and down on those pins to raise and lower it. if that is the case you have some major fabrication ahead of you to mount this on your truck. Also if you could post a couple more pics of it I could get a better idea of what you need, one pic from in front of the plow showing everything but the blade, and one standing at the end of the blade looking across showing all but the blade itself.

6. monte_man_79

yes, you are right, from what I understand that plow frame you see there is all one solid piece. and the slots on the back rails are for two pins for the plow to slide up and down on.

the guy I bought the plow from said he sold the mount that went with this plow :cry:

BUT, he said he had a mount for a newer syle plow that only pivoted in the one location at the bottom. Then he said the plow would be lifted by an arm and chain that would would be run by a hyd cylinder. either way, there would be LOTS of adapting involved.... I payed $100 for the mount and $500 for the plow with a new cutting edge, so If I have to hack up the mount and adapt it I'm not out alot of money.

my main concern is that if I adapt the plow side to fit the new mount, I'm going to have to re-enforce/ rebuild pretty much the whole front structure for the plow again.

I'd take more pictures, but I don't have the plow in my possesion yet. I should have it some time this coming week. I'll post more pictures at that time. I do think there's one pic I'll post at the bottom.

is there and advantage to mounting the plow with the old style mount or the newer style mount? or a disadvantage?

not the best picture, but that's all I have at the moment.

[​IMG]

7. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

There is going to be a HUGE advantage in using a newer mount. At least half of that steel on that plow will be gone, which will make it lighter and a lot easyer on your front suspension. But I wouldn't just cut and scrap because you may be able to use that upright piece later on. If You go and look at a regular snow plow you will get an idea of what you will need and the fabrication you getting into. But if you can find some one with an older classic mount to look at. You don't want a setup like the newer unimount systems. If I get some good pictuers I'll try posting them for you so that you will have a better idea.

8. monte_man_79

is this a classic style mount? this is on a county plow truck at a friends house

[​IMG]

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Yep that would be a classic style mount. When you take the plow off you pull two pins, ( they are the pins at the bottom that have the T handle welded to them in the picture), unhook the chain, and if it's power angle you unhook the 2 hoses for the angling rams and back away. Just one other thing while your doing your fabricating somewhere on the plow put a trailer jack stand on it. On our big plows we use a 2 ton top crank style, they come with a small cup like piece that you weld fast to the plow in a spot that won't interfear with the operation of the plow, then when we hook the plow up we just pull a pin and stick the stand in the cab on the floor They sell at tractor supply for about $30.00, if you want to look at them part # is 0116322
    It makes hooking a big plow easyer because you can raise, or lower it to lign up with the push fame.

10. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Oh and what you see in the pic is pretty much what you want. yours doesn't have to be exact, but you can use his as a really good reference.

11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Oh yeh sorry for this, If you look at this setup on the vertical portion on the push frame, starting at the bottom where the pin is to remove the plow, move up the vertical and from the pic I'm guessing about 10" you will see another pin with a cotter pin through it. That is a pivot point for the lift frame, Now if you continue up to where you see the steel get smaller there is another pin to hold the lift frame up. Remove the upper pins and pivot the upper half of the frame down out of the way to open the hood. I remembered that was one of your concerns.

12. monte_man_79

Thank you! I really appreciate your help on this. The mount I'm getting I'm thinking will be this classic style mount, so this should give me a leg up on conveting this plow over to that style. Shouldn't be too bad of a conversion.

13. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Thats gonna be your easiest set up, both to fabricate and use. Good luck.

14. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

looks like a great deal for $600